Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went to install my ram mount on my 2005 goldwing and the screws are too long:mad: Has anyone else had this happen? The instructions are pretty easy. Put in spacer, then bracket then lock washer then bolt. 6mmx55mm will not screw in all the way. They need to ship 6mmx40mm with this product. I just don't get it. Anybody else have this happen?

wingdinger

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

I've bought several RAM mounts and so far, all had the proper screws.

ACE hardware will probably be the quickest fix.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I contacted ace this morning and they only have silver. i wanted black. I may go there anyway. Were your screws 55 mm long? Because it is phisically impossible to install that length of screw.

wingdinger

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

I don't recall the length.
Mine were on two different 1500 bikes, and attached to the throttle and clutch clamps.

I'm guessing 15mm longer than the stock ones??

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I looked up RAM mount Goldwing on Google.com and it looks like the mount for a GPS. Is this what your talking about Wingdinger?

Harold

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That's exactly right jaymom. I have the right mount but there is no way a 55 mm bolt can be threaded enough to tighten with the included spacer. It's crazy! I just went to ace hardware and bought 2 40 mm's and they should work fine. I hope someone can chime in and confirm this. I'm sure the 2005 is no different than 2002-2010 models as far as the clamps for the clutch/brake reservoirs. Here is the link. See for yourself on the parts listing at the top.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Portals/0/Skins/NationalProducts/pdf/3091instructions.pdf

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Yes I see what you mean. I wonder if it is just a quality control problem that they dont know about.

Harold

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

If Ace doesn't have what you want, a cutoff wheel on a Dremel will make it fit within 30 seconds. :)

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Isn't there some kind of semi round bushing that goes on the other inside of "U"? (it acts like a clamp on the handlebar)The diagram with the link shows it being figue E. It takes up some additional space

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ok, I am an idiot. I didn't see the forest because of all the trees in the way. The original piece is used instead of the other piece I was trying to use. Please excuse my stupidity. I will now go back to reading posts instead of creating them.

wingdinger

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Glad you found the problem and let us know how you fixed it.
Sometimes the crowd never hears "The rest of the story"
Don't feel too bad, reading instructions are not one of my finer points either!
Hey, we are men, and real men don't need instructions, right? Now how does this things go together dear?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It was right there in black and white. Look at the bold print right after instruction #4
:(
1. REMOVE ONE OF THE SCREWS AND COMPARE THE THREAD TO (C or D) SCREWS
PROVIDED. GATHER THE 2 MATCHING SCREWS, 2 SPACERS (B), AND 2 LOCK
WASHERS (E)
2. PASS EACH (C or D) SCREW THROUGH (E) LOCK WASHER, AND INSERT THROUGH
SLOTTED HOLES OF (A) HANDLEBAR BASE. SCREW HEADS SHOULD BE VISIBLE
WITH RAM LOGO.
3. POSITION (B) SPACERS OVER THREADS OF EACH SCREW, AND SET ASSEMBLY
ASIDE.
4. REMOVE FINAL SCREW HOLDING YOUR ORIGINAL BRAKE/CLUTCH ASSEMBLY.
HOLD ASSEMBLY TOGETHER WHILE REMOVING TO AVOID LOSING COMPONENTS.
SET ASIDE CLAMP AND FACTORY SCREWS.
DEPENDING ON THE MOTORCYCLE, FACTORY CLAMP MAY NEED TO REMAIN IN PLACE TO ACCOMMODATE THE LENGTH OF SCREWS IN YOUR RAM MOUNT KIT.
5. CAREFULLY PICK UP YOUR RAM MOUNT ASSEMBLY, AND BY HAND, THREAD RAM
SCREWS INTO THREADED HOLES OF YOUR BRAKE/CLUTCH RESERVOIR
ASSEMBLY.
6. TIGHTEN SCREWS USING ALLEN WRENCH UNTIL RAM MOUNT IS SECURE.
7. STORE ANY UNUSED COMPONENTS OR HARDWARE FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE USE.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.