Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
57,438 Posts
imported post

that steep angle would preclude me from using it.

Also, a Goldwing is too big to just drive up into a pickup like that.

My opinion, but I won't do it. IMO unsafe.

I like the way it folds up, we have a dog ramp that works like that.

But, my 1500 + 275lb frame is heavier than that ramp is rated for.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-steel-loading-ramps-44649.html

I purchased two pair of these when they were on sale for $29.95. I bolted a pair together side by side, to make a wide main ramp. I use the two other ramps for outriggers to keep my feet planted as I drive up the main ramp. BTW I haul my wing on a trailer & not in my truck.

With the 20% off coupon, it makes these even a better deal...-Rich

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just be aware that many a 1800 owner has ruptured their plastic coolant overflow tank when it grounds out on the edge of the tailgate, when loading their bike into the back of a pickup, due to the long wheelbase of the wings.!!

A trailer is much more easier/safer to load bikes onto. :readit:

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Yes, a trailer is the best way to go. I have the harbor freight 1200 lb 2-piece aluminum ramp and it works great. I've used it to load up my very large roller tool cabinet and top tool box loaded with tools. The ramp groaned a bit but took the weight and my gl1200 weighs less than my tools.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I have used my ramps to load autos onto my trailer. Just place a jackstand about 1/2 way under the ramp to support the added weight....-Rich

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
imported post

Marco, if you have the dough, sure. Don't wanna be unsafe, besides you'll have a spare if one gets damaged.

ALWAYS try to either raise the trucks front wheels or drop the rears, makes less ramp angles.
Have 2 people at the ready WITH hands off the bike going up the ramp. Don't need one person pushing harder than the other side. You need to feel the balance going up the ramp.

If you start to go unbalanced your helpers will see it in your face. It'll be like this:tongueout:eek:r like this :shock:

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

An arched ramp will help with the angle between the truck bed and the ramp. I would also never try to load a bike like a goldwing without a triple wide ramp. Anything you can do to make the rear of the truck and the surface the Bike will be on close to the same will be a big help. Park the truck wheels in a ditch, use a bank, a loading dock, or anything else you can get to.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
imported post

This home made set up did pretty good, just need more truck maybe? The TG is probablyOK, only about half the bike's weight is on it at once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jnCcA1K8ZY&feature=related

I have hauled my '74 Trident on my '77 F150 4X4 home from Vermont and to a few bike show events in Va and Pa in years past, I also hauled my '85 GL1200 home when I bought it on a high tilt trailer made from a early '70s F150 wreck, it was a bear to load, much harder than the lighter Triumph on my non-tilt F150 4X4 even.

Back in December I was bored one day and a couple years ago had modified my newer home made 4x8 utility trailer by lengthening the tongue, adding removable rear railings, added width for rear tires and decided to try it on my trailer. In hindsight, should have made it 5x10.

I just use those 20 year old tires for storing it, I have much better 30/9.50-15 LT Wranglers on alloy wheels for real road use that I keep in the basement .

But Trike fit good, I just need to do a little bit of work on rear gate / bumper. That's a 3500 lb. drop axle and underslung springs. I'ld also use it for the '85 GL1200 or '74 Trident. It's low, bikes and trike load easily.

:)

Attachments

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

http://www.sportslift.com/cycletoylift.html

For when you don't have the luxury of a trailer, this isn't so bad. about 2700.00

The only time I need my wing in the back of the truck is when the hitch is tied up with the house on wheels...:waiting:

Ramps scare me going up, going back down is twice as bad.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

The least expensive way I know of is an aluminum tip made for a 2X12 wood board.You can get the board in whatever length you want. You can either score the top of the board, or use sandpaper paste painted on to the top of it. I have had to use a trailer from time to time for various reasons, but it works for me.:?...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.