Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For those of you that do rattle can paint jobs there is a new development. One of the problems with rattlecan is that there are no 2 part epoxy clearcoats available in a rattle can. This means that even one drop of gasoline on a new paint job can be a disaster and they are not real tough if left in sunlight long or often.

You may be aware that most auto paint suppliers can now put custom mixed colors into a rattle can. These cans usually have a superior nozzle and are designed for professionals to do spot touch-up. This is like cheating. You can use professional body shop quality paint, custom matched, from a rattle can. They can mix it using color codes or match with a camera shot of existing paint. The camera stuff gets close sometimesand spot on sometimes, but cannot be counted on for a perfect match.

WhileI was picking up a custom mixed can to repaint my son's XS 650 I commented about the sad performance of rattle can primer. My sales guyexplained that there is now a 2 part rattle can clear coat. The can has a button on the bottom of the can. When you want to use it, you push in the button, breaking a membrane and then shake to mix the 2 part. You have 24 hours to use it up. Why didn'tI think of that!

It was about $20.00 ( cheap).

I have not used it yet soI cannot comment on it's performance but it sounds good.

It is labeled: for Professional use only, This 2 part Paint contains isocyanates. Protective Mask Must be Worn when Spraying Paint from Aerosol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Here is pic of button on bottom of can.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Not doubting that it is a great product and certainly not trying to undermine your post, but I have always been told and have tried the clear coat and colors made for engine blocks. It tends to hold up pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I had not heard of that stuff, andI have not tried this stuff yet, but you would have to think that a 2 part would be about as tough as you could get. I will find out if I ever get that paint job done.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I did my entire 1100I with rattle can custom paint and 2K clearcoat. This stuff is GREAT. The nozzles that come on the can are directional that you can adjust for horizontal or vertical pattern and lay down a pattern that completes with a spray gun.

I've used it on three projects and love it.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Man, where the hell was that a few years back before I spent all that time building a quick set-up/tear-down booth so I could just use my gun. I don't know, because I'm me, but my paint gun may wind up collecting some dust if they keep up with developements like that

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

Still haven't found an east coast company that does the custom rattle can. Duplicolor's it around me.:waiting:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

You need to search out the companies that supply the local body shops. This stuff is not available at retail.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I did mine using duplicolor in gunmetal grey, good enough for now...I'm happy with it...

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Any auto supply house that supplies paint & pantaccesories can get you into custom paint. You can also get it from Color-rite. Try Napa, Jegs etc.:action::action::action::action:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

bcassel wrote:
I did my entire 1100I with rattle can custom paint and 2K clearcoat. This stuff is GREAT. The nozzles that come on the can are directional that you can adjust for horizontal or vertical pattern and lay down a pattern that completes with a spray gun.

I've used it on three projects and love it.

Do you get a good build-up of paint with the cans?

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Yes, you can layer up and it gives you a 24 hour "pot life" to work with. So, if you want to sand between coats, you have time to do it. I did two coats on most of the bike and three on the saddlebag tops and the fairing. Sanded with 2000 grit wet or dry between coats. I believe it has a 30 minute cure between coat time.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I did my 75 with paint from napa. they sell martin senoir paint and put it in rattle cans for $10 extra per can. nice way to go.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

How much paint And or cans to do an GL1100I

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

How much paint And or cans to do an GL1100I
depends on how many coats you do. I would guess about 3 or 4? I'm one of those guys who likes to pile the clear on really thick so I have plenty of meat to wet sand back and buff to get that glass look, but some fella's are better at layin' paint than me.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Just a thought, maybe not a good one?

I wonder how those HF spray cans would work out?
You take off the top, fill can with the liquid to be sprayed, put top on, air up from a compressor.
They come with 4 nozzles as I recall for different spray patterns. I've mostly just used them to spray oil like WD40, or Gas as a starting fluid, sometimes a homemade cleaner.

Anyway, if the biggest thing with the expensive cans is a better nozzle, I wonder if you could save the nozzle from a can and use it on the HF can? Those nozzles are generally universal.
The refilable HF can only cost $10, or less on sale or with a coupon, so if it worked well you could buy paint in bulk, mix as needed, and save the $10 cost per can for cans.

I might give it a try myself but will be awhile. I just got back my 82 1100 and need to paint it and have a NEW HF can here somewhere I had for a spare and never used.

Course would probably want a GOOD air dryer on the line if trying this. Would not want any moisture getting into the paint can.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I purchased 8 cans of paint and three cans for clearcoat to do my 1100 I. I had 1 1/2 cans of the paint left 1 full can of clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

bcassel wrote:
I purchased 8 cans of paint and three cans for clearcoat to do my 1100 I. I had 1 1/2 cans of the paint left 1 full can of clearcoat.
Love the white! Was white an original color option?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Just a thought, maybe not a good one?

I wonder how those HF spray cans would work out?
You take off the top, fill can with the liquid to be sprayed, put top on, air up from a compressor.
They come with 4 nozzles as I recall for different spray patterns. I've mostly just used them to spray oil like WD40, or Gas as a starting fluid, sometimes a homemade cleaner.

Anyway, if the biggest thing with the expensive cans is a better nozzle, I wonder if you could save the nozzle from a can and use it on the HF can? Those nozzles are generally universal.
The refilable HF can only cost $10, or less on sale or with a coupon, so if it worked well you could buy paint in bulk, mix as needed, and save the $10 cost per can for cans.

I might give it a try myself but will be awhile. I just got back my 82 1100 and need to paint it and have a NEW HF can here somewhere I had for a spare and never used.

Course would probably want a GOOD air dryer on the line if trying this. Would not want any moisture getting into the paint can.
Chromo, first off those nozzels are not interchangable with the cheaper paint. I have tried.Second could you send me a link to those HF cans? Mind you I can not buy from them as they don't shipp across the 49th, but ther must be suppliers up here in the land of the best damn football & hockey.:D:D:D:D:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Actually that color is 2006 Chrysler Vanilla Cream. I'm not big on making sure the bike is true to it's roots.

As an example, I just mounted a stereo above the gauges and used the radio plate for switches for driving/fog lights.

I wanted a color that would not get hot in the central California summers (110 not unusual), but didn't want white so it would not be taken as a police bike. Well, I get lots of folks who slow down when I'm on the freeway, so I got half of what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.