Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my three wheeler is a lot heavier than most, because it's really a 3-wheel car. Right now I have installed a new clutch,(waiting and waiting for cover gasket). Anyway, I'm thinking a final-drive ratio of 4-1 would be much easier on everything. I'm not that concerned about top speed, more concerned about getting around in town.
A friend suggested a smaller rear wheel, or tire, but that lowers the car, and it's already low.
There are plenty of final drives out there, but no one seems to know what the ratios are. Based on what I've read here, different ratios are scarce.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
308 Posts
Most of the gearing changes to 1100 series were made inside the transmission, not the final drive unfortunately. Unless you can figure out a way to manufacture a different ratio you are basically out of luck. Count the big ring teeth, divide by number of teeth on pinion gear and you have the ratio.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the gearing changes to 1100 series were made inside the transmission, not the final drive unfortunately. Unless you can figure out a way to manufacture a different ratio you are basically out of luck. Count the big ring teeth, divide by number of teeth on pinion gear and you have the ratio.
Thank you for your response. I believe the current final drive ratio on my GL1000, is 3.4 to 1(Based on specs in the Haynes book). I'm wondering if there weren't custom gear sets made for drag racing. I guess further research is needed. I was hoping to find an answer here.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the rear end ratio of a GL1100?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts