Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Alright, so my Gl1000 is not completly apart and I am biggining the cleaning and rebuilding process. My plan is to get the frame cleanded up and painted then start rebuilding parts in the order they are to be but back on.

What I want to know, from anyone that has maybe had some experience in the area, is if there is any advice in the order of the things I should start putting back. My idea was to get the front end on, then get the engine in and you know trying to go in the reverse order of how I took everything off.

So any advice would be preciated, experiences of things not fitting in so easily with certain parts on, or anything that will help me with putting the thing back together and gettting it back on the road. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

hmm sorry I wrote this in a hurry, alot of spelling erros, first in the first line, "so my GL1000 is NOW completly apart"

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

one thing to rember---clean the tank and coat it if need be and put back in to the frame first. saves a lot of time over doing it later. dont ask-----

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Wiring harness first then gas tank. Those are the most critical. Also if the harness is still installed take pictures before it comes out. The routing is pretty critical and it SUCKS to find out it won't reach because it was routed under a tube instead of over. After that it is pretty much up to you. You will make mistakes. Ihave done 3 complete builds now and I have done something wrong on every one:D Accept that from the beginning and it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

before I removed the wiring harness, I took very detailed notes of where escatly it was threaded through, but I'm sure I'll still mess it up. I have to learn to relax sometimes so I don't make small mistakes worse.
So for your saying get the wiring harness in and then the gas tank. would that pose any problems when putting the engine back in. And how do you all put the engine back in, I completely messeded up the taking it out part, (a terrible post will come soon as soon as i get the pictures)
so yea, whats the best way to work with that engine and get it into place with limited damage to frame and everything else?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have seen guys put the block in first and that would certainly work ok but I like to have the mobiliy of wheels before I do that. It would definetly go in easier if the Fuel tank and swing arm were not in the way. To me the hardest part of the engine is getting the position right to get the shaft on and drop it in the mounts on the right side. With the swing arm out of the way the engine should slide in like silk.

I remember trying to wrestle the wiring harness connectors that go by the battery box through that little indent in the fuel tank and that was a serious PITA. That is why I advise routing the harness first. It can be done tank first but I won't do it again.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

What do you use to put the engine in. And what side do you slide it in from. When I took mine off, I hade the heads off and it was still a pain to take it out. I ended up turning the bike upside down and just wreasling with it out of fustration. I ended up cracking something (details will come soon) but yea, it did not come out easy at all. And everything was out of the bike.
Did you use some kind of jack to hold the engine up, or did you use some kind of hoist. I don't see how you could use anything like that because it seams the only way the engine will come in our out is from the side, which prevents you from using anything.
So maybe some information on how you did it would help me, thanks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Get the manual, it'll show you exactly how the engines comes out.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have the manual already, actually I have 2 of them. The clymer and also the Hanyes I believe it is. And it didn't help me. All the parts were off then they just say something like take the engine off, or manuver the frame away from the engine, none of those things worked, the only thing that worked was having the frame upside down, lifting it off the ground and then slaming it against the ground. A nice way to crack the engine but hey it came off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

I have found that a lot of pictures detailing each step of the disassembly really helps me.

I just put it back together in the reverse order of the pictures.

One good picture detailing the layout of wiring, linkages, cables, etc... is worth a 1,000 words for me.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Did see that a section of the frame is removable..and once off the engine "just" slides out??

front wheel, bike then on center stand or lift or both, wiring harness(including coils), rear brake lever, gas tank almost all the way in leave out 1", engine with cooling pipes & thermo/fan switches etc. on, throttle and choke cables, carbs, now finish pushing the tank in, rear brake lines and master, rear wheel and drive shaft, headlight, gauges, handlebars, pipes, radiator.

Just my .02..well maybe .75

Note be sure to clean the oil screen and the neutral switch while the engine is out of the bike

Download the Honda shop manual from the reference section much better than the ones you have

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I did a engine removal tutorial on NGW but I think you have to be a member to see the pics. http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136651#136651

Signup can be a PITA but for some of the "how to" pictorials we have it is worth it for most new 4 cylinder Wing wrenchers. Signup is here http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/profile.php?mode=register

Our ShopTalk area will show you most of the listings of the pictorial "How Too's" we have built up. It can be viewed here temporarily http://www.goldwings.us/?&MMN_position=8:8

For engine removal/ reinstallation I use either a rolling automotive floor style jack or a Bike/atv jack.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Xuno_gil wrote:
I have the manual already, actually I have 2 of them. The clymer and also the Hanyes I believe it is. And it didn't help me. SNIP
I would Download the Honda Shop Manual at the link Bagmaster posted. In my opinion the Clymer and the Haynes both are inadequate compared to the HSM. I keep a hard copy in the shop and often I have my electronic copy open on the computer when cruising the forums to double check myself before I post. And I still make mistakes:shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Xuno_gil wrote:
I have the manual already, actually I have 2 of them. The clymer and also the Hanyes I believe it is. And it didn't help me. SNIP
I would Download the Honda Shop Manual at the link Bagmaster posted. In my opinion the Clymer and the Haynes both are inadequate compared to the HSM. I keep a hard copy in the shop and often I have my electronic copy open on the computer when cruising the forums to double check myself before I post. And I still make mistakes:shock::shock::shock::shock:
I agree with Whiskerfish, the Honda service manual is far superior to the Clymer or Haynes.

After reading the Honda instructions thoroughly, I found the engine removal on my '81 to be easier than I expected. I put the bike on the center stand, and after everything was disconnected, I just rolled the engine out the side on my floor jack. Same thing when I installed the new engine, I just set it on the floor jack and rolled it in from the side.

I think you would find the Honda service manual invaluable.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

RB wrote:
Did see that a section of the frame is removable..and once off the engine "just" sides out??
OMFG I have to be so stupid!!!!!! I read this post then read what some others had said and though to myself there has to be something to this. Read the book again in detail look at the frame just sitting there and sure enough. I could of removed this engine so easily. I NEVER TOOK THE DAM SIDE SECTION OF THE FRAME OFF!!!!! I didn't realize that the frame could come apart. That is such a big thing, im so annoyed at myself for not paying more attention, and a little annoyed at the book i was using for not puting more empasis on that crutial step. Well the engine is out, damage cause is repairable, and now I can look forward to putting the engine back on with such an ease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.