Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Has anyone ever re-chromed their mufflers ? My GL1500 mufflers have spotted surface rust, and seem to be in great shape otherwise. I have not tried to buff them yet, as I'm not sure what could be used to remove the rust spots and kep the chrome shine.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

Best chrome polish I ever used was bought at Chevrolet dealer, A C Delco Chrome Polish. It worked great on my bicycle's wheels (used some of Daddy's suppliesback in them days) and in later years, chrome slottedwheels or my Cragar's rims ....and not too long ago .... a low miles but polish starved set of GL1500 mufflers with rust spotts .... they cleaned up nice.
I don't know if it's available any longer in it's original mix though? My can is a metal can, white with the old '60-'70s looking A C Delco label. I think they still have some, just a plastic botle now? My can of it is a good30-35 years old or older, Iuse it just for cleaning rusty chrome plated items.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

You can remove an amazing amount of surface rust, using a 8" diameter BRASS wire wheel with or without chrome polish... then coat with a layer of Mother's Polish (or Lemon Pledge) and they will remain nice for a long time.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I use 0000 steel wool to remove the rust spots and then polish them with a good chrome polish. Using this method brought the mufflers on a 92 back to almost showroom quality last year and they were pretty bad. You want to try it on a spot on the muffler that is towards the inside of the bike. I have done a lot of chrome with the 0000 steel wool and you don't have to rub hard. I have never had a problem with it scratching the chrome. But then I used a gentle hand while doing it. Take your time it is worth the results.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Ifly,

I use just a regular old SOS pad that you would have in the kitchen.

They work great… they have the soap built in and not only does it help clean but it acts as a lubricant and prevents the scratching of the chrome. I really does work great with removing the pitted stuff too.

When you’re done, all you need to do is apply a good quality paste wax. You will be amazed!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the suggestions. The suggestions are a lot better than the $$ re-chrome job I thought I needed.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the sos pads. My 94 was pretty bad, especially on the inside. It was much easier to take them off to get at the whole muffler without skinning my knuckles on all the sharp stuff. They came out pretty amazing. Any wax will work, I like Mcguires cleaner wax because it doesn't leave white stuff behind. We always used sos pads on the kids bicycles too.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

having mufflers chromed can be expensive IF you can find someone to do it. I have heard of some chrome shops not doing mufflers because of the baffles in the muffler. Also not all chrome shops are created equal. There can be a big difference in quality from shop to shop.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

ditto on the oooo steel wool

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I only use one rechorming shop here in the Houston area..That would be Superior Chrome...They were at the same location for many years, at an old aircraft assembly building, owned by Howard Huges, that was something to see, but I regress, back to the point..When I dropped off the five pieces I could afford to have done at that time, the owner gave me "The Tour" of his plant..Four men working in the back, with a total of over 100 years working for him, one old man had 40 years then!!!..He was the first person that "worked" on your chrome pieces..He made his own tools to bend, straighten, and get anything ready for the next steps...ALL of the machinery was ran on an over head shaft, change the speeds by moving the belts to a different spool...In their new shop they still have ALL of that same machinery!!!!

While on my "tour" i spotted a pair of really Old time Harley mufflers on a work bench..I asked about it and he said that they have special plugs that keep the "Chrome" out of them..When I returned to pick up my stuff those Harley mufflers, fins and pipes were laying next to my stuff...They were fantastic!!!..Reason that person had those chromed was simple, he was restoring this very old Harley, no new parts were avaible for it, aftermarket ..Yes, but he wanted it "Stock box"...

Here is a rather long read on Chrome, how its done, with what and what we some times refer to as "Chorme" thats not real Chrome..Interesting but that's exactly what I seen at that chrome shop...Explains the truth about "triple plated" etc..

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

BTW: while I was there I seen these guys in the shop getting this 1956 Buick bumper and grille ready to re chrome...There were some metal pieces of that grille missing, so this one man took sheet metal, and a torch, cutting, bent and brassing in those missing pieces, I'm thinking "Yeah Right" ...I seen that finished product too, Buick didn't make it that pretty!!!Couldn't tell where those pieces were brassed it at!!!

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

I use 0000 steel wool and polishing compound. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Redbaron,

Thanks for the link... very interesting! A good read.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I use the NEVER DULL cotton cleaner in the blue can that they sell at most antique stores. Gets rid of tar and most stains nicely.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

Re-chroming can be real pricey.New pipes can be real pricey. Rubbing your fingers raw with steel wool/various cleaners and waxes can be well worth the effort. If that fails, or your unhappy with your results, a set of Harley mufflers can be found for cheap( $50 or less) and they look and work well with a 1500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.