Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'veowned 7 new Goldwings and one of the common things that everyone of them had, was a windshield that didn't do such a good job of deflecting the wind.

I love the vented windshields. This is the best and only improvements with the windshield that I have seen.

I realize there may be some intentional planning to leave some business for after-market accessories. Personally, I would rather have hada few of the functional parts on my Goldwings left stock, and the windshield is one of them.

If after-market can doa better job shielding us betterfrom the wind, why can'tthe factory windshield to the same?

It seems as though a bit of a curved upper couple of inches would deflect the wind a little higher over the rider.The turbulence or buffeting that feels like it is coming from behind is far worse on the GL1800 than on the previous GL1500 models.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Every rider is a different height etc and some like a low screen and some like a high screen ,So it is impossible to please everybody ,which I think is why Honda fit this type of screen ,It would be an iteresting subject to do a poll on ,Like who likes high screen ,low screen ,wide screen ,etc etc ,,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I wasn't suggesting to only have a short or tall windshield. I was only recommending a top edge with a dip or outward curve to deflect the wind higher so that it would reduce the buffeting.

Some after-market windshield do it, why not Honda?

Honda could offer more than one style of windshield.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

I am 185 cms (5' 11") tall and the OEM screen is fine even when fixed at a lower setting. If it was any higher the top of the screen would be right on my eyeline - very irritating! The only problem with the 2003 1800 is that the screen is not vented - not very important when riding in Britain but it is when in southern Europe in the summer!

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,248 Posts
imported post

The windscreen on my wing is about 4 inches above my eyeline. It's like pushing a piece of plywood thru the wind flatways.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

John,
How tall are you?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Aerodynamically speaking curling the top edge of the windshield could make things worse. The least buffeting is caused by a smooth airflow, curling the top forward will cause a strong stream of deflected air to meet the oncoming flow at a more acute angle. This can result in vortex generation, noise and backdrafts. It will definitely increase the air drag on the bike as a whole. There's no free lunch, the more you disrupt the airflow the more other problems will arise.

·
Administrator
59,248 Posts
imported post

Kikker,

I am 5' 11" and most of my height is in my back. I have short legs and a long waist. This is one tall piece of plexiglass. Don't know who put it on there, but the dude must have been a 7 footer...

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

John,

It's most likely not a stock windshield if you are looking through about 4 inches of it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZGL1500, sounds like you and I are similarily proportioned, height wise anyway, Iput a new stock height windshield on my 1500. After riding with it for several months I cut an inch off the top. Now with the screen all the way down my line of sight over the top contacts the ground around 60' ahead. I don't find any more buffeting or wind than when it was higher. I do have the option to raise it but even in rain I don't see much difference so I keep it low. The main advantage is better vision.

·
Administrator
59,248 Posts
imported post

I agree with the vision bit. On my 1200, the plex was as you describe yours to be.

When it rained, I had the option to look above the rain spattered glass (plex) or just above it and the rain drops mostly missed my helmet visor anyway.

This thing I have is tall... I'm going to measure it right now...............

it measures 29 inches from the trim to the top in the center. That is with it at the lowest setting possible.

The fact that it is so tall, makes me wonder how much top end I am losing? About 90 mph is all mine wants to comfortably push. It will do 100 if I wait long enough, but I have to downshift to 4th to get it up there if I need to do it quickly.

Today, I was two up with a buddy who weighs about 180. I am 260 (75 over the scales says the doc), and we had a side breeze of about 15-20 and gusty. Passing large SUVs or semi's would cause the bike to want to move over about 4 or 5 feet. I didn't have any trouble making it stay where it should be, but we definitely healed over at a much steeper bank to stay put.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's quite a difference, set all the way down my windshield is 20" from the top of the trim bezel. With a 29" height I couldn't see over it and wouldn't like that in the rain or when you get some crud thrown on it from a semi. I really can't see any reason for the super tall windshields, the woman who hangs around here says she doesn't get any particular buffeting with the bike set up the way it is.

My bike will top 100 pretty quickly without any need to downshift. I don't know if yours is out of tune or if that much larger screen makes that much difference. I have a high mileage bike, 108,000 miles, so the old girl isn't a spring chicken either.

·
Administrator
59,248 Posts
imported post

My bike has a vacuum leak problem right now and I can feel engine roughness. Will have to correct that before she is in perfect tune.
Tnx for the height info.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Good points. I always thought that the Goldwings windshield never got the same amount of development & testing time that was devoted to (for instance) the saddle. The windshield could easily be made to provide hand protection and also be adjustable over more than the few inches it currently does. That way it would be suitable for riders over a greater height range.
I also think the fairing lowers could be made to provide better foot protection from the rain. After almost 27 years since the faired Wings appearance, I would have expected that Honda would have got this right.
Maybe I'm just too impatient...

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

You are probbaly right Steve. The screen is an afterthought really. It's one of those things that the designers should consider more. All that crap about wind tunnel testing doesn't hide the factt hat the screen is a weak link and needs attention.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

on another site,i belive it was northamerican goldwing, they brought this up and some of the ideas for rain and buffeting were simple suggestions. one was a car door weather seal fitted on the windshield and the other was a piece of vinyl tubing split and pressed over the edge of the windshield.their was also a link for a glow in the dark kind. i'll have to try and find it again and post it here to look at. mite try it next season or maybe this season if time allows

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

The buffeting problem requires a multi-faceted attack.
Windwings and Handwings are excellent but you should have windshield vent and not use tunnel fillers to avoid the vacuum created behind the screen.
Don't underestimate the value of a windshield spoiler.
It is amazing what some of these small things can do.

Here's what I was looking for. It shows it in this attached picture. i belive it was rudy that posted this

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

We've seen those kind of suggestions here before m2102, but not many of us want a hunk of rubber or automotive edge trim in our line of vision.
Honda claim to have wind tested the gl1500 and gl1800, but they still haven't attended to the problem of buffeting. A vent does help, but doesn't eliminate the problem entirely.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Those BMW type shields are the only real way to cure buffeting. The best we can do with our Goldwings is to add air wings to the fairing and a vent to the shield, and use them to direct air into the riders area.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

yes it would be a bit of an eye sore. another suggestion they offered,i couldn't find the post,was to use a piece of clear tubing split down the middle,1/4" or 3/8"depending on thickness of windshield. the tubing is not as much of an eyesore and can be removed when not needed.the other was "glued" on. they were saying that it was enough to tame buffeting and worked well in rain as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.