Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I have a 1990 GL 1500 with a Tulsa windshield and I love it.

It doesn't have a vent and a friend of mine has told me I am better off without it. He has had a bird shred itself throught that vent and he doesn't relish the thought of spitting out blood and bits of bird any time in the near future.

Just saying.

I do feel a bit of back pressure but not overly so. However it is pretty funny in the rain.

The rain drops run up the windshield and then just drop over the edge onto my legs and the handle bars.

Wierd!

John:congrats:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

I've had my 2007 GL1800 with a stock windshield for about a year now. My last big bike was a BMW R1100RT. This bike, like many of the BMW's, had an electrically adjustable windshield that was controlled (at any speed) with a rocker switch on the left handgrip. Here's the important feature: the windshield sat up off the fairing a few inches. As an aeronautical engineer I'll try to explain what this does. The air hitting the front of the bike flows over AND under the windshield, which allows it to maintain a laminar flow (that means the flow of air remains smooth and does not curl back). This gives you a smooth flow of air in front of your face and over your head. The air does not curl back and cause turbulence which buffets the helmet. You can adjust the screen up and down to give you a very quiet and calm cockpit while looking OVER the shield. WHY CAN'T HONDA DO THIS? The new Windbender windshield uses this concept. I guess I'll have to buy one, but the rails are not very pretty.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that happens to me. I'm happy the fairing keeps me pretty dry, especially compared to my buddies riding other equipment. But I get sick of my legs getting wet. I wonder if some sort of bead around the top edge of the windshield would stop the drops. Also, my hands get cold. My BMW had the mirror fairings in front of the grips, which kept a lot of wind off your hands.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

The problem with windshields, and saddles is they are hard to get right for all shapes and sizes. The stock windshield works fine for me, but some of my taller riding buddies find the OEM windshield too short. Honda will never be able to get one that works for all riders, and that's where the aftermarket guys come in.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Kikker wrote:
I wasn't suggesting to only have a short or tall windshield. I was only recommending a top edge with a dip or outward curve to deflect the wind higher so that it would reduce the buffeting.

Some after-market windshield do it, why not Honda?

Honda could offer more than one style of windshield.
I think that is a great idea, Honda would sell a lot of those, if you could customize it to your own:claps:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.