Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

You probably have Progressives installed, they are a right pain to try and push down. You might need someone to help you put more weight on them.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

megganads wrote:
'86 aspy, The top 4" of the top spring is hell to compress and turn cap too. Any suggestions? Yes the old oil was bad, I would guess 20yrs. old.

Thanks

Bob
Bob, what works well for me is to use a long extension on the socket.. Then place a piece of pipe over the extension that will sit on top of the socket. On that piece of pipe I have welded 2 - (1/2 pipe) handles about8" long.. With me pulling down on one side with my left hand & my wife pulling down on both sides I can turn the ratchet with my right hand & get those cap threads to catch.

You also need the bike front jacked off the ground & solidly blocked so it can't move.

If you don't have a welder you could use threaded pipe with a Tee screwed on & handles screwed into the Tee, then drill a hole through the top of the Tee (or use 2 Tees)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thank you my friend. I used a half inch speed wrench and anchored the top in the center of my gut, standing on the seat, pushed down with body and turned the handle. It took several attempts but finally i succeded. Glad I don't have to do this for a living.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

It's been suggested that while you have the caps off, why not drill and tap them for a pipe style plug. (say 1/4"-28) Should make future oil changes a snap.

Now get busy and take them off again, no point doing only half the job..... :action:

Just kidding, but I do plan on trying this tip over the winter, my front end is showing some signs of tired fluid. Glad you got it handled. Even the stock springs give me a hard time.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, for what its worth I took a 2x4 about four foot long. bored a 5/8 hole in it with a spade bit. stick a short 1/2 drive extenson throught the hole in the 2x4 from the top and then put a long 1/2 extension with your socket on the end of that. the shoulder on the bottom extesion wont let it pass through the hole in the 2x4. then have two of your friends, one on each side of the 2x4 push down while you aling the cap and screw it in. takes about 5 seconds. you dont have to remove the windshield or move the bars at all. Of course you do have to spring for a couple beers when its done, but I figure thats a lot cheaper than cross threading the caps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.