Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all!

I originally came here with hopes of restoring my 1990 GL1500 to its former glory... I have since discovered that would be an endeavor I was ill prepared for.

Freshly arrived back from my recent purchase. It ran great and rode smooth, I was in love.

I found out that my subframe was broken, of course that was after I found out that my subframe was only attached with one bolt, which I found before I noticed that my air shock was sheared off at the lower eyelet. But the good news is nobody was injured in the nearly 9 months that I rode around and took my son to school!

I now have a very stripped down bike, which leaves me with some parts that I no longer need, and some parts that I had to throw out.

It now looks similar to this except I have taken the wiring harness off as I will not be putting the plastics
back on.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,744 Posts
??? you don't intend to fix it?

I suppose that has to do with the broken frame?

BTW, Welcome to your new forum, lots of folks here who can help you get it back up like it was, if that is what you want.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
??? you don't intend to fix it?

I suppose that has to do with the broken frame?

BTW, Welcome to your new forum, lots of folks here who can help you get it back up like it was, if that is what you want.
I intend to make it my own, no longer going to restore it. I figured if I was going to put that much money in to making it look nice I would make it look unique. That engine is a champ!

·
Premium Member
69,702 Posts
Hallo Jason Pringle

Welcome back on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,943 Posts
That blue is the nicest color ever on a 'Wing. Wish I could find one.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have been busy with preparing for retirement and a death in the family but here is my update for those that may be interested in reducing a Gen 4 GL1500.

Rewire is coming along, I had to plug the windows on both master cylinders which then led me to checking my clutch slave cylinder.

To get access to clean out that area I had to drop my headers which led me to some rust busting and cutting away the mounts/heat guards. Sorry I forgot to grab a before pic.

Once I got that sorted I was able to clean up the slave cylinder port while I wait for new seals to come in.

Carved up the OEM seat so I could reuse the seat pan.

Planning to carve up the air box to switch to air pods, I got in contact with BobManifold and that is how he got around the stock air box. I will try to document that as much as possible when I get there. Other than that I am currently routing wires before I clean up the harness for wrap, I am trying to reuse connectors where I can.

One question I have that maybe someone on here smarter than me can help with is where to draw power for the alternator? I’m not sure if I should feed power from the starter solenoid through that 30A fuse or from a 10A-20A protected circuit off the m.unit Aux 1 or 2, respectively. I have an updated and revised wire diagram but it’s not coming through on the upload so PM if you would like to see my plan and I can send you a high res diagram.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
887 Posts
Your dashed green alternator Sense/excite wire should come from switched power somewhere on the black wire side of your ignition switch. A fused circuit wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: Jason Pringle

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your dashed green alternator Sense/excite wire should come from switched power somewhere on the black wire side of your ignition switch. A fused circuit wouldn't hurt.
Sounds good, thank you! Looks like I’ll attach it to one of the auxiliary outputs, that will give it a 10A fuses connection and if it seems to have issues I can bump it up to 20A.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone understand how the Bank Angle Sensor works? I ran a continuity test on the three lines coming off it and got nothing but resistance checks.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, sounds like I can’t use that in this setup then. I would have to add at least one mechanical relay and I’m not there yet. Maybe down the road...🤷‍♂️

I am debating keeping the fans for the radiator, no plastics means it should be able to better dissipate heat passively.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,744 Posts
you will definitely need to keep the fan installed.
there are times when the bike is not moving forward fast enough to push air through the radiator.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Goldwing 1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the header gaskets in today, so I went back to cleaning off my headers. I finished grinding the welds from the heat shields off and hung them up for painting. Going to have to wait 48 hours so I can add more coats that 1.75.
Once it got too dark to paint I switched over to wiring, working on getting all the wires bundled up to look more like a harness and got 80% of the grounds tied in.
The weekend is coming and I have too many things going on as I prepare for my retirement from the Marine Corps and my move from California.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,744 Posts
enjoy your retirement, and Thank You for your Service to our Country. 🇱🇷

1 - 15 of 15 Posts