Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a 93 GL 1500. is there an easy and simple way to remove and replace the oil in the rear air shock?

thank you

robin

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Basically you have to take it off turn it upside down let it drain over night though the air valve port, valve removed... and refill with a syringe with a small tube attached. Unless you actually take it apart then you can fill as you are putting it back together..so no, no easy way

at least 1100 shocks I think 1200's and 1500's are the same.

I guess you try using a small tube hooking it up to a syringe and try to suck out the old fluid but you'd never know if you got it all and how much was left inside.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hello all, i managed to fill the shock with a minimum amount of fuss. first, the shock was shipped without any fluid in it (excellent ebay seller). i held it upside down to make sure it was dry.
next i laid it on the bench horizontally, with the hose connection facing up. i used a 10ml syringe without the piston. then i would fill the syringe and slowly pull the shock apart. moving it in small increments sucked the fluid into the shock easily.
when i was halfway done filling i slowly compressed the shock. i did this slow enough to watch the air bubbles bleed out.then i repeated the filling procedure till full.
once all this was done, i held it upright and worked it in and out slowly again. this bled the rest of the air bubbles out. after that, i was able to compress the shock for installation.
everything went smoothly, and now i have a good shock that doesn't leak after 10 minutes.
i apologize for no pictures,but i need to surgically attach 2 more arms . then i can take action shots while working

best to all

Robin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.