Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Seems a bit expensive.:shock: Since my oil filter can't be seen, having it "Look Trick" really doesn't matter. One of the things I really like over my 1200 is the spin on non-cartridge filter. I don't think I would intentionally go back to one. JMHO

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

It would take a lot of effort to clean it and if it is filtering out at the micron level how would you know it is clean? The outside looks very nice but since you can't see it on the goldwing it is not an issue. They probably look great on a HD. But i just can't see having to clean it. For the money they want you can buy a lot of regular oem filters that will protect the motor up into the hundreds of thousands of miles. Now if they made a replaceable insert that would be some what better. Good for show but not practible. IMO i would not use it, risk much greater than reward.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I agree. I'm spoiled....take it off, throw away, screw on a new one.....all for under 3 bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I asked the same question a while back on the nakedgoldwings wite and basically the consensus was, 1: how do your really clean it well, 2: what a mess, and 3: through out a cheap one first

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Reusable Filter. Why take the risk. For under five bucks you can get a new filter. Taking risks is not worth the price for a motor. My two cents worth.:waving:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Lets see, $80+shipping. How many standard oil filters can you get for that and change out at 3-5K. I figure around 25 standards at the least, thats 75k-125k worth of mileage before it starts to save any money. I think they market it the filtering quality than anything,but if you change regular you'd be just fine with the standard paper. Paper been good for years to me, no need to fix it if it isn't broken,IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I can see some advantages to it. It does magnetically attract small metal particles. It might be a pain to clean, but not too hard, simply clean the filter in a parts washer and blow it dry with compressed air.

Looks like it would help cool the oil, and it is heat that is the enemy of any motor. It is also heavy duty so if one did use it on a wing, would take the place of the belly pan to protect the filter(I built a plate to protect the coolant tank)

But true you cannot see the filter on a Wing, and paper filters are cheap. But if I still had a Harley I would use one , for sure.

Kit

·
Premium Member
63,048 Posts
imported post

Mikef,
A $3.00 filter.. Tell me more, what kind and where do you get it ????????

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nope, there's no way to perfectly clean it each time so it will slowly lose flow volume and build up back pressure. Magnetically trapping metal particles really isn't all that great a deal, the filter media on any filter will trap metal particles including non-ferrous ones. Price and the mess of cleaning the filter are negatives too. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Mikef,
A $3.00 filter.. Tell me more, what kind and where do you get it ????????
$2.74 at Walmart
SuperTech 6607

·
Premium Member
63,048 Posts
imported post

THANKS, I'll have to check it out........

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
imported post

Hay Chippy

You should be asking will it make the monster any quieter :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

Rave wrote:
Hay Chippy

"the monster" still whispers to us as we ride along ......... :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Oh..........................I thought they were talking about you.......:dude:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
imported post

wannabe wrote:
Rave wrote:
Hay Chippy

"the monster" still whispers to us as we ride along ......... :cooldj:
or should i say the beast :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
imported post

wannabe wrote:
mikef wrote:
Oh..........................I thought they were talking about you.......:dude:
No - I am no quieter :cooldevil::cooldevil:
I think you are Karen :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
imported post

I always replace the filter with each oil change. However the element used in the filter in question does have some advantages. When we were running 4X4 blower engine pulling trucks it was very helpful to be able to take the filter off and take it apart to inspect what was in the micron element. The oil was changed after each meet. You might run 1 time only or possibly up to 3 times at each meet. I don't think it would be necessary for the bike application.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.