Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

Has anyone had much luck re-using valve cover gaskets? Mine are leaking and I am wondering if I pull the covers and reseat them maybe they wont leak? The PO has the covers tightened down pretty hard. Maybe if I reseat them and dont tighten the covers down so hard? They are rubber.

Thanks again,

Dave:waving:

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

If they are leaking now they won't get any better by removing them. They have gotten hard from age and probably cracked. If you just can't buy new ones right now you could try putting a thin coat of sealer on them. Clean them and the surface of the head really well.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If those cover bolts were "really" tight, I'm surprised they weren't broke. Don't tighten them over the specs in book. Just a few foot/lbs. I've had good luck using another o-ring under head to cause additional compression. The rubber under the heads of the bolts are the "spring" in a manner of speaking, and they get lazy.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Yes you can reuse. However, The seal must be soft / pliable. Also, look at the bolt seals. I suspect since the PO had them down so tight they are in need of replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

The valve cover bolts have a shoulder that prevent over compressing of the gasket. Once seated and torqued, additional torque does nothing to compress the seals. Oregon Winger suggests an additional O ring under the bolt head. And yes, overtorquing can lead to them breaking off upon removal time.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can try to soak em in hot soapy water for a while...then sterilize with alcohol or?
clean the covers and the head surfaces feveroushly....wipe all with alcohol and dry all
...use hodabond or yamabond or simular...silicone might give up after a short while.
this works well with new gaskets too;) ..you can lightly roughen all surfaces to let the sealer grab better.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I hate Hondabond. I would rather use high temp RTV. How much are new gaskets?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Honda bond! interesting stuff.

I made two new fillet seals for the rear plates of the cam shaft pulley belts. Just dripped it into place and left to cure. The fillet seals are no longer available so this made a good replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The Honda bond I have is in a small-medium sizetube and grey. I used it to mate theengine half case. I also laid a bead off to the side and it really never cured but I was not going to un-split my case. The cured beadnot have much strength and did not seem to completely cure (IMO). Maybe my sealant shelf lifewas out dated.

My Honda dealer service sectiondoes not use it, but, that was according to the parts guy that sold me the tube.

I think I paid $18 bucks for the stuff whileothers paid $14. The cost did notbother me, since I wanted the goodOEM stuff before putting my motor back together. It only bother me after I thought their product was inferior to others, IMO.

If you have new gaskets, I would not use any sealantLet the gasket do the sealing.The only time is usesealant is on coolant systems.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

buford56 wrote:
I bought new gaskets. They were $16.00 each at saber-cycle.
My local dealer had them for 15.00 bucks a piece, so I didn't have to worry about dealing with sites like the one mentioned here.

I always call and ask my dealer his price and then check around for better deals to include shipping costs,etc. sometimes you just can't beat local.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.