Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Changed plugs, air filter, fuel filter and adjusted idle. Thanks to all for there help!! Took a 30 mile drive to Wally World to pick up some Sea Foam this past Mondayand dropped off the stuff at the house. Got back on the bike to go to the store and it happened again. Idled rough and died. Once it cooled off, fired right up. I have the part number and had contacted the local Honda dealer after my first thread. They do have it in stock for $53 and some change. The part is an NS sensor correct and there is only one to replace, right?

Any help with installation would be appreciated. I will have to bite the bullet and go for it!! Will I have to mess with the timing or the belts or is it pretty cut and dry. "remove and replace". I know by now that anything to do with my LTD is time consuming but it beats paying Honda $100 plus an hour and have them keep my baby for weeks. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

You're lucky, to replace the pulse generators on my '84 I have to remove the engine, and I'm told that Honda no longer carries them in stock. If and when mine goes out I'm going to have to spend some serious time hunting them down.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

The part number should be 30300-MG9-951 and there is only one of them - mounted on the front near the cam belt drive on the crankshaft. If you found one, you are lucky.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:action:You can change the ones on an 84 by dropping the swingarm and entering from the rear.:D

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hey Winger, I think I replied to your other post. Looks like you're online now. I had the same issue and fixed it by replacing the pulse generators (or cam sensors).

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I replaced mine last year and Honda had them in stock, no problem. Are they hard to get now?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I got mine from Honda-direct, check this link. http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp
Enter your bike info into the finder and look at the "front cover" diagram, part #20. pauln has the right part number...$36.30. I'd change the timing belt too, while you're in there.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Pauln, Just ordered 1. you saved me $15!!! How tough are they to replace???

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

The hardest part is disassembling the plastic and then re-aligning it when you're done. If you're not going to replace the timing belt, you don't have to remove the radiator...just drain and slide it forward a bit to give you access.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the info nsjoe!!! once I'm in I just disconnect and reconnect, button it up and it's ready to go???

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Most outlets show the part, but when push comes to shove, no go. If anyone is going to have one, it's some dealer somewhere. I hope HPD actually has it. If you do get one, bear in mind, that upon installation, it may run terrible, if at all. That'll be one of the last production runs, that needs the 2 wires reversed at the plug housing. They got the magnet backwards in the last batch.

And, Olegrumpy is spot on about the 84 PG's. Just pull the wheel, and swingarm. Good time to do the way over-due driveline maintenance. (usually way overdue) Have some Moly 60 grease handy. No less than 60%. Also, be careful of the u-joint boot. They're real fragile, and not available.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I just opened it up, switched the part, then buttoned it up and it ran like a champ. I don't know anything about the magnets being backwards, and mine were in the front under the cam cover, not by the swingarm. Mine is an '86 Intersate.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The fuelie single crank sensor is the one with the magnet backwards. Don't know of any carbed sensors having magnet backwards.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I meant the timing belt cover, not the cam cover.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Called my local Honda dealer yesterday on the way home from work. He found part# 30300-MG9-951 (pulse sensor) somewhere in North Dakota. $57 and some change and will have it in 5 days or less. That means I will have my baby set to go in 6!!!! This parts guy was great and spent 15 minutes on the phone with me researching and calling spots for the part. Must have been a slow day at the ole dealership.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
The fuelie single crank sensor is the one with the magnet backwards.
Don't know of any carbed sensors having magnet backwards.
Will reversing the wires in connector like you previously mentioned, correct any timing issues where the timing appears to be radically advanced?

Ditto,, never had issues with these other than having to replace them for failure

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

You can do the pulse generators on an 84 from the rear with the engine in the frame by dropping the swing arm. OOPS! already said that didn't I!:D

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

You can do the pulse generators on an 84 from the rear with the engine in the frame by dropping the swing arm. OOPS..................
I am about to do it....reolace the stator on my 85 Aspy.
Now seroiously,,, can I do it from the back of the engine without removing it totally.Removing the rear swing arm would it be enough-
PLEASE HELP
LUcio ITALY

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.