Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my 02 goldwing to the dealer and they could not get the fl light to come on by idling it. If I ride for about 7 miles it will come on. I would like to get a something to find the code myself. What would be a suggestion?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

It's not FL but FI, it is the warning light for problems with the fuel injection system.

Without resorting to the manual I can't offer much help, hopefully Kit Carson will be along shortly to offer some help.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

If there is a problem that would set a code it should be stored and retrievable. With the bike on the side stand turn on the ignition and start the engine and let it idle. If a code is present the FI light should flash the code as a series of long and short blinks.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

If the F1 light simply stays on or comes on after going a few miles, and will not flash a trouble code for you with the bike parked with the side stand down, it is most likely the ECU.

You have to pull the shelter and unplug the connectors to the ECU and find the pin on the top left of the 33 pin black connector. I am not sure the wire code color for the 02 but recent bikes it is white with blue stripe. Using a jumper wire with a pin and alligator clip ground that pin to the frame of the bike. If the light comes on it is the ECU, if the light does not come on while grounded at this location ,there is a problem within the circuit itself. between the combination meter and the ECU.

There is one thing you could try first but it takes a special tool with a capacitor in it to absorb the short, you short the pins connectors together at the diagnostic plug under the seat, but it takes a special tool for that, but that does reset the system.

Ask you dealer about that, have them reset the system and go from there.

So you either simply need to reset
It is a problem between the combination meter and the ecu
Or it is the ECU itself.

For your request as to obtain a tester to get the trouble code yourself, yes there is a HDS pocket tester, that you plug in under the seat at the diagnostic plug and it will run a check on the system.
I asked about that tester once at the Honda shop and they I think said it was $700 dollars. I looked a few other places and found some that might be able to work and be adapted and even they were in the $400 range.

You really do not need it, you can get a manual and go step by step, and find it without the gadget.

Kit

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
It's not FL but FI, it is the warning light for problems with the fuel injection system.

Without resorting to the manual I can't offer much help, hopefully Kit Carson will be along shortly to offer some help.
Ah, now that I understand:D:dude:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

wskip49 wrote:
I took my 02 goldwing to the dealer and they could not get the fl light to come on by idling it.  If I ride for about 7 miles it will come on.  I would like to get a something to find the code myself.  What would be a suggestion?
Count the long and short flashes and report back here and someone will tell you what may be wrong or as kit says - you need some care when carrying this procedure out :cooldevil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.