Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I`m trying to test my stator on my 85 Aspencade,but my ignorance to using a multimeter is stopping me.Can anyone help with defintions of the following "Marks" or selections on my multimeter?

V with a solid line next to it and 3 dots under the solid line ?

V with a ~ above it ?

A with a solid line next to it,and the solid line also has 3 dots under it?

Also,measuring continuity with the Ohms meter (The selection with the sign that looks llike a set of headphones:D) I dont have a selection for rx 1 or so on..which is the lowest selection? My choices are 2000k 200k 20k 2000 200

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

1st one is for D.C.volts, 2nd(wavy line) is for A.C.volts, 3rd is for D.C.amperage.

The lowest setting you have listed for ohms is 200, the K after a setting stands for 1,000. So 2,000K would be the highest setting. Good Luck, and welcome to the forum... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

V with a ~ above it ?
This is the one you want you are looking for 50 to 65 volts AC

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the help! So,is 200 close to rx 1 on ohm testing? Thats what it says to test it at.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks..thats the only one that gave any reasonable response..I had 57,54 and 13..so I may be turning wrenches soon.:?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

zonk3939 wrote:
Thanks..thats the only one that gave any reasonable response..I had 57,54 and 13..so I may be turning wrenches soon.:?:baffled:
Zonk, make sure you cut that low leg yellow wire back far enough to be sure you are into GOOD clean wire (don't measure at a brown or black terminal), then re-measure that leg. There was a guy here a while ago that had a low leg from his stator & all he had wrong was a cobbled in piece of junk wire.

Twisty

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

OK,I cut it back aways to good clean wire..still gettting 57,54 and about 14.I think I`m stator burned.:?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

zonk3939 wrote:
OK,I cut it back aways to good clean wire..still gettting 57,54 and about 14.I think I`m stator burned.:?
Zonk, yep, that doesn't sound good.Probably time to either pull the engine or add a small car alternator.

To pull that engine.. First get a GOOD manual (the Clymer M504 will work pretty good & isn't very expensive).

The manual will tell you to pull both cam belts & sprockets but you only need to pull the R/H side.

It's much easier & less apt to break parts if you don't completely remove the carbs & upper intake but instead wire them up & pull the engine from under the carb set-up.

I always pull the rear drive & prop shaft out the rear first as it makes the engine much easier to install that way.

It also helps to have a helping hand at actual time of engine removal.

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.