Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I overfilled my gas tank and gas puddled under the bike, is it safe to ride or will I end up looking like Richard Pryor running down the street??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
294 Posts
imported post

I did that. Just got off the highway on a beautifull day wasn't paying attention and overfilled all over the hot engine. It sizzled for about five seconds then the whole thing went up in flames !! Lesson learned the hard way, now I pay real close attention when filling. This was on a Yamaha it had no well around the tank neck and drain hose.

Tom
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I cleaned the puddle but what about all the gas that ran down the bike, does it have a drain opening or what??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
62,056 Posts
imported post

If you did it at a gas station and got home to your computer.. It must be OK.. If you did it at you house I would think it would evaporated by morning, if it's not freezing there..............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
529 Posts
imported post

the Goldwing has a scupper drain with a hose so any spilled fuel is caught in the scupper and drained away from the engine and onto the ground.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
imported post

Spark it up and see what happens :shock:. Just kidding. Let it air out good and you should be good to go - JMHO though - could be wrong :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,524 Posts
imported post

If I see gas in the cup around the inlet, I just leave the cover open and wait until evaporates.:bash:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

On the occasions where I've slopped gas when refuelling I push the bike away from the pump and spillage and leave the gas flap open for fifteen or twenty minutes. That's enough to evaporate the stuff from a hot engine and pipes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, I let it set for about an hour, and then rode it home from work (about 30 min. ride at 70 mph) and it didnt burn up or anything. Next time I will pay more attention.

Thanks guys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
535 Posts
imported post

dude, man, did you wipe it off the paint and off all the plastic? gas EATS paint like a fat kid eats cake.....wash and wax all affected areas....fast!........rick:(
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top