Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I looked at a GL1800 '06 the other day (I'm selling my 1500 to upgrade) and it had a plexiglass shield mounted between the passenger back rest cussion and the trunk lid. It was about 6 or 8 inches tall and a little wider than the back rest. The gentleman said that it dramatically cut down on the windswirl that comes around the windshield and creates a bit of a whirl wind. I know that you can purchase different wind shields to reduce that but he had a stock windshield and this addon and said it works very well.

Have any of you heard of this or even had one on your bike?

I would appreciate any info and/or oppinions on it.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

I saw them for sale at the Luxembourg Treffen last year :shock:

Trouble is its a permanent fixture when its on. I know that the wind round the fairing behaves differntly depending on if you ride solo or two up (you can see this by the way your pennants on the aerials behave) therefore, it stands to reason that this gismo (if it has any affect at all) will create different air behaviour dependant on riding solo or two up.

Think I'll give it a miss.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I have read about this in the wing world book its called the airfoil I believe, and it creates a vacuum pulling air away from the passenger, any one who has road on the back of any bike will tell you they get alot of side winds on their chest and shoulders this device pulls air on around and away from the passenger, and it is still suppose to work with the original front windshield too.

·
Premium Member
12,782 Posts
imported post

I have no experience with this product .I did see one on an 1800 at the beginning of my Dragon Tail ride after the Calhoun event.If you notice , high end convertable sports cars seem to have this screen device behind the headrest . I expect its for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That is an excellent point. I've often wondered why those were only on the high end convertables.

I might have to give this a try. The one that I saw was custom made by the owner who happened to be a machinist. His is bolted in place. He didn't mention difficulty reinstalling the back rest but we really didn't talk much about that.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

i've used windblockers on two Miatas and they worked very good controlling wind from behind your head . So when I saw one had been designed for the 1800 I ordered one .

I cannot tell any difference with the stock shield up front . but the wife and daughter both like it .says it has stopped the turbulence about the head and this has helped with the headaches my wife seams to always get after a long trip

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the picture illustration.
My wife likes the idea of reducing the buffeting. She tends to get a sore neck after a day of riding.
Those arm rests look exactly like the ones on my 1500. Do they fit either bike?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I don't thint the arm rest will fit the 1500 but they are plently that will

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,845 Posts
imported post

Those armrests look identical to the ones that were fitted to my 1500.

Maybe only the mounting bracket needs to be special for each bike? But mine appeared to have been attached by drilling thru the frame and snugging them down.

As I said, the pictures are identical to the ones I had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.