Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone had the privlege of replacing the rear oil seals on the shocks-Please

advise if any trade secrets to be aware of- thanks CRAIGA:action:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

There was a topic about this only a fe wweeks ago. Do a search and you should find it easily.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks browan for the research on this-went to that page- very helpful-still dont know if i should use gear oil or ATF- I put new prgressive springs in 2 years ago- the best thing I ve done- no more bottoming out-I pull a trailer it really helped-but i should have change seals at same time- I just put ATF in-thats what CLYMER

rec -but now im wondering if i should have used gear oil-

by they way this will probably change the dampening-should i use less oil if i use gear oil-thks CRAIGA

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

If I remember corectly the Progressive Damper & spring rebuild for the rear requires almost no oil to perform properly, the amount of 1/2oz per shockis in my damaged brain. I would guess that you would be safe with ATF.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the info- ive used ATF before- just someone had mentened gear oil-I would think that would be too heavy of oil Anyway thanks again

CRAIGA

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

CRAIGA wrote:
Thanks for the info- ive used ATF before- just someone had mentened gear oil-I would think that would be too heavy of oil Anyway thanks again

CRAIGA
According to the instruction sheet I have from Progressive for the 416 air shock you should fill it with 2oz. of ATF. Don't know about the other Progressive models.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

ATF is what Honda recommends but I all ways use fork oil as its got better damping quality and is slightly thickerso there'sless chance of leaking .Do not use other oils they will not work the same.

Glenn/uk
:cool:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey your right- type-O is a 1982 GL1100-thks CRAIGA

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the info -do you think i should use the same amount og fork oil as ATF

Thanks CRAIGA

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

CRAIGA wrote:
Thanks for the info -do you think i should use the same amount og fork oil as ATF
Thanks CRAIGA
Yep!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.