Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Can you use Lights mounted in the saddle bags for blinkers/turn signals? Dumb question . And if their shaped like an arrow, Pointing in the direction you want to turn? Amber colored?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

The great thing about owning a bike is it lets you do your own thing. It is not a dumb question. It's your idea and if you like it, go for it. I like the old bates saddlebags with the lights on them. Installing your own is cool. I have honda bags on my 500, and I have been wanting to put light on them, with a plug, as they are detachable.

I looked at an old wing in Texas a couple of years ago, had the old bates bags and lights on them. Very cool.

Some might not like them, but we are all different.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

That would be a state by state issue. Here in California, sure I use my side lights for additional signals (red), even have them blinking in-between the blinks for the rear signals bulbs. I have additonal amber signal lights in the front they are LED's on my highway pegs. There are a lot of members in Oregon, I'm sure they can answer for your state.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

The more you personalize it, the more you will become attatched to it. Hard to beleive, because I already like mine a bunch. Like a friend, they are.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Red or amber have to be ok if they face the rear, amber only if they face the front. Cars are produced with both red and amber to the rear, so no difference for a bike. The only no-no would be amber brake lights.There should also be noprohibition on the shape of the reflector (since some cars and busses also have these), so if you want to make arrows, knock yourself out.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I have 3 GL1100's the turn siginals are mounted in the saddle bags by mother honda

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

It is my understanding that if you have amber in the rear, they must be off except when used as turn signals.
If you have red only in the rear, they can be on low until used as turn signals.
Must be amber in the front only and can have low running light mode for those.

As far as blinking in the rear goes, there are regulations for the brakelight flashing at a stop that vary by state.

You can add your own duplicate turn signals to the back but everything must be off or steady when running. The turn signals can be any shape.

I don't think it's a problem to alternate your turn signals using the side lighting in the rear.

Not facts. Just my accumulated understanding.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:

As far as blinking in the rear goes, there are regulations for the brakelight flashing at a stop that vary by state.
:waving:The "tailBlazer" deceleration warning brake lights by Kisan Technologies Inc. are legal and are a great safety item to add to any bike. These bulbs replace the standard 1157 on the GL1100 and flash for about 5 seconds when you apply either the brake pedal pedal or handlebar brake lever. I have both the Kisan headlight modulator and Kisan deceleration brake warning bulbs on my '83 Interstate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 1100, the PO had the turn signals wired into a 1200 trunk box and a cats eye tail light. When I put the original luggage back on, I didn't have the original lights so I improvised, I used a 3" round led in each bag and used a couple of marker lights to add the extra draw. I changed the brake light to one that was little bit larger and easier to see. Since then though, I have aquired the original signals and tail light and am in the process of prepping the bike for and paint and all of the original lights will go on then.

So just goes to show that turn signals can be pretty much anything, at least in Tennessee.:D

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

No amber running lights on the back, not legal. Amber or red turn signals on the back are fine. Blinking of brake lights are fine if they stop after a few seconds and go solid.

Outside of that, you have some flexibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.