Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike was two up ,loaded with long trip stuff.
In getting to the Dragon from the Tennessee side I used the brakes quite a bit.
We were 3/4 thru the Dragon when the rear brakes got next to useless.
The aggressive ride became a Sunday driver ride, as I had only front brakes.
After about an hour at the bottom of the hill I checked the brake pedal again and I had the pressure back.

The failure most likely was caused by the high temperature of the brake fluid.
Last time the fluid was changed was about 4 years ago and I used fluid supplied by a motorcycle dealer.
Should I change the fluid in the system ?. What type?
Is it normal for the brakes to fail due to excessive usage?
TY

·
Administrator
58,203 Posts
DOT4

but I suspect you were not running in a low enough gear to help the brakes.

You need to get used to running the engine at higher RPMs so that it can be used as the brake. I rarely use the brakes on tight twisties.... I run in 3rd or 2nd gear most of the time.

I have on one occasion used 1st gear to hold back my bike and trailer so that I was not riding the brakes.

·
Trike Master
1,227 Posts
Just an opinion here. Why would anyone ride "agressive" enough to cause brake fade? Especially in an area the speed limit is 30mph! Very dangerous to yourself and other riders.
You're are very fortunate you are still alive!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Just an opinion here. Why would anyone ride "agressive" enough to cause brake fade? Especially in an area the speed limit is 30mph! Very dangerous to yourself and other riders.
You're are very fortunate you are still alive!
On most mountain and twisty roads I doubt if anyone does the speed limit, isn't that why you ride that type of road./

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
On most mountain and twisty roads I doubt if anyone does the speed limit, isn't that why you ride that type of road./

Tell that to the LEO when he pulls you over. Then prepare to lighten your bank account.....!!

I seem to remember there have been a few fatalities on the Dragon. Can you say rider error.....??

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
DOT4

but I suspect you were not running in a low enough gear to help the brakes.

You need to get used to running the engine at higher RPMs so that it can be used as the brake. I rarely use the brakes on tight twisties.... I run in 3rd or 2nd gear most of the time.

I have on one occasion used 1st gear to hold back my bike and trailer so that I was not riding the brakes.
Some folks probably don't understand "engine braking".....!!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn it I asked for advise and get criticized. Get a life OLD MEN.Period.
John , I ride mostly in 3rd gear in the twists But even with engine brake WHICH I UNDERSTAND you still have to use the brake to slow from 35-40 MPH to 10-15MPH in a short distance for a sharp turn.

And to all others once again get a life and leave mine alone. Ride like and old man you are on Sunday morning to church.
"Lucky to be alive" . Breaks when overheat don't fail suddenly and totally. Its a gradual thing and I had advanced warnings that's why I went the rest of the way the way you ride everyday

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
John , I ride mostly in 3rd gear in the twists But even with engine brake WHICH I UNDERSTAND you still have to use the brake to slow from 35-40 MPH to 10-15MPH in a short distance for a sharp turn.

And to all others once again get a life and leave mine alone. Ride like and old man you are on Sunday morning to church.
"Lucky to be alive" . Breaks when overheat don't fail suddenly and totally. Its a gradual thing and I had advanced warnings that's why I went the rest of the way the way you ride everyday
Peter,
That can be wrong. My friend had a beautiful 1956 Chev drag car. Made a run and had good brakes at 150 MPH. Drove back to the pit at 20 MPH and ran in the back of his trailer. No brakes. He had water (moisture in the fluid. So to answer your question about changing the fluid that would be a yes. Whet you describe is exactly what brakes will do when there is moisture present in the fluid. Of course you can't compress a liquid. Try to put a cup and a half of water in one cup. Now when the fluid boils it becomes a gas. That you can compress and then you have less or no brakes according to how much boils. Cols back down and condenses back to a liquid ann all is good. Of course mechanical failures can also cause immediate brake failure.
As for your driving style I think you are intelligent and know your own limits and risks. If it only yourself at risk it is your choice. :)

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well maybe that was a poor choice of words on my side. instead of "aggressive ride" I should have used "spirited ride " . After all Im not Giacomo Agostini

All I said about critics is still valid

·
Administrator
24,848 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Ride your ride and leave me to mine.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Goldwings are a,heavy Bike. They are not a sport bike. Not meant to be riden like one. Just enjoy the Beauty set the dragon has to offer places where you can pull over and enjoy the scenery that God has put on this great Earth of ours. Not criticizing you each their own. Too many accidents on that road look up the statistics. And see how many bikes they take up off that Highway each year. As far as your brakes go used. For and I don't skimp on brake fluid I use the best there is or at least what I'm told is so just make sure you're buying a well name brand. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Peter I have ridden the Dragon many times very fast, never had a hint of brake failure. You want to ride like that, you MUST service your ride. Change the brake fluid on a regular basis. (not every 4 years)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Tell that to the LEO when he pulls you over. Then prepare to lighten your bank account.....!!

I seem to remember there have been a few fatalities on the Dragon. Can you say rider error.....??

I guess you never rode a mountain road. if you did you were probably the only doing the speed limit. It's not only mountain roads and motorcycles, have you been on the streets or highway lately? Hard to find lonesome keeping within the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I guess you never rode a mountain road. if you did you were probably the only doing the speed limit. It's not only mountain roads and motorcycles, have you been on the streets or highway lately? Hard to find lonesome keeping within the speed limit.
I grew up in a state with many mountain roads and ride them a lot. I have ridden in all the lower 48 many times on back roads and highways. I have even ridden the Million Dollar Highway in CO, Bear Tooth Pass and the I-5, I-405, I-101 and such.

But thanks for trying to "assume" how I ride....!!:ROFL:

I also have LEO family members.....!!

Have you ridden much on the east coast, its a little different than your west coast....???

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
The bike was two up ,loaded with long trip stuff.
In getting to the Dragon from the Tennessee side I used the brakes quite a bit.
We were 3/4 thru the Dragon when the rear brakes got next to useless.
The aggressive ride became a Sunday driver ride, as I had only front brakes.
After about an hour at the bottom of the hill I checked the brake pedal again and I had the pressure back.

The failure most likely was caused by the high temperature of the brake fluid.
Last time the fluid was changed was about 4 years ago and I used fluid supplied by a motorcycle dealer.
Should I change the fluid in the system ?. What type?
Is it normal for the brakes to fail due to excessive usage?
TY
I rode the Dragon once, realized right off that it was at best, a hyped up dangerous roadway open to the general public frequented all too often by dangerous riders wanting to play "Randy Racer" & too often in over their heads. We have better safer rides locally. Then we checked out that flea, mosquito, tick & fungus infested dank motel, and got a refund on the room, and went on to Robbinsville.

You obviously over rode the road and the bike, we call it "brake fade" when too much braking exceeds the brake's ability to kill speed by converting it to heat. Often that heat causes the fluid & any moisture in it to boil. As a result, you loose braking as the pedal turns to mush. You can loose seals too. Brand new fluid wouldn't have hurt, but I doubt that it would have helped much either. Did you use the front brake system before the loss of rear brakes, or just because of the loss? 4 years you say? You can change it anytime now.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you use the front brake system before the loss of rear brakes, or just because of the loss? 4 years you say? You can change it anytime now.
I use both sets most of the time, but they linked. I think the back with one in the front

In those 4 years I put about20-30 K on the bike. Im no expert but I dont think the brake fluid should be changed very often. Heck I put 200K a on a car and never change it. (relax, its not your car, for the ones that are ready to jump on my head)
Come to think of it the fluid change was done by the dealer upon the brake recall.
However Its time for all fluids change, minus antifreeze.
I change that every 250K :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
I use both sets most of the time, but they linked. I think the back with one in the front

In those 4 years I put about20-30 K on the bike. Im no expert but I dont think the brake fluid should be changed very often. Heck I put 200K a on a car and never change it. (relax, its not your car, for the ones that are ready to jump on my head)
Come to think of it the fluid change was done by the dealer upon the brake recall.
However Its time for all fluids change, minus antifreeze.
I change that every 250K :ROFL:
You just gotta stir the pot. don't ya? :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Me thinks a full service of your brakes is in the near future..."Near" meaning like now!

Sounds to me like you were over accelerating in the straightaways and having to brake excessively entering the curves. Practice makes perfect!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts