Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So i have a rear brake issue with my 83 aspencade. The brake pedal STICKS when you push on it and stays down, not so much to lock the rear brakes up but wont come all the way back up. IS this a spring issue or just gunk around the shaft the pedal sits on or what else could it be? My bike is drivable but whenever i use the rear brake, i need to lift the pedal with my foot as i start moving again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

I've seen this exact problem before and... you're on the right track with the junk in the shaft and pedal pivot. Normally it's only rust build up and you 'might' be able to spray a lubricant into the pivot area and free it up but maybe not. You might have to remove the pedal, clean up the rust on the pivot and on the inside of the pedal pivot area. Grease it liberally and reassemble.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I appreciate the info. i will look at that tomorrow. One other thing, i have a chrome side cover on that side below the plastic side cover. I can not figure out how to get that chrome side cover off. Lots of chrome on my aspy. It would stink to have to remove the highway bars JUST to get that side cover off. Can this pedal be removed from underneath?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Post a pic of the side cover in question.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

As for your rear brake pedal hanging up. Some folks have installed a gease fitting, while they have had the brake pedal shaft out.

Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

One of my bikes has an angled grease nipple fitted to the brake lever where it rides on the shaft. The metal is thin, so the PO welded a nut to the top of a hole drilled in the lever where it pivots on the shaft.

There's a grove in the center of the pivot so the grease has plenty of area to help distribute the grease.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My rear brake lever on the GL1100s used to stick. I used "PB BLASTER" spray on them and they stayed loose. I think inactivity makes them stick.

I removed the chrome engine covers as they became a maintenance pain in the A**.

Come down the Concord, MA if you want some help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.