Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
First let me explain myself, I’ve been a mechanic for 40 years but not on bikes, but it’s still a machine right, I know things can be tricky, the first thing I got out of ur post was u tapped into everything and that can lead to many different problems, here’s my suggestion on LED’s the nx time u purchase them make sure they come with a built in resistor it totally saves u tons of problems on why this or that doesn’t work.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
459 Posts
Here is a chart showing wire size and length for 12 volt DC circuits. 18 gauge wire can handle 16 amps up to 10 feet long.

voltagechart-12v.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
All right, the flasher from LEDLight.com did not work. So I was resolved that the only thing that was going to work was the resistor route.

Now, where to put them? As I tested them, albeit for only a few minutes, they do start to get warm. How warm, I don't know how warm they will actually get. So I decide the best thing to do is to isolate them as much as possible and maybe somehow get then into a stream of air, but where? They aren't ugly, but I don't want them right on the front fender.

Since the bike has the majority of the cosmetic plasic off, I see what I think is a good spot, which is inside the vent tube that provides cool air to my legs when it is warm. So that's where I mounted the resistors for the front turn signals.

Here are some pictures. I had to add a little length of wire between the resistor and the wire harness. By the way, I tapped into the after market wiring harness that turns my side marker lights into flashing side markers flash with the turn signals. This way, if I don't like it, or for any reason it needs to be removed, I can remove it and just purchase another side marker harness.

I used #6-32 screws and also added a 1/4" nylon spacer between the resitor and the vent tube. I hopefully this keeps the heat from the resistor a little better isolated.

Cheers

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts