Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I lost my rear brakes recently on a trip. Once I got home and investigated, I see the line has worn through (see image). It looks like this happened from rubbing against the rear shock. The line runs pretty tight there, so I don't know if I can install a new one far enough away to not rub.

How can I make sure when I replace it it doesn't happen again? I see there is an extra rubber hose around the brake line that may help, but this doesn't quite reach the area that gets rubbed. Still, even if I can get that in place on the new one, how can I stop this from happening again?

I'm riding a GL1200 Aspencade, 1985. Tan in color if that helps. :)

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Is the bike new to you or did you have work done on the rear wheel?
In any case the caliper is installed incorrectly and should be sitting about four inches behind the shock. The mount bracket has a hole which when installed properly lines up with the lower shock mount bolt which is long enough to go through the hole and hold the caliper in position.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Oh that explains it. I put a new tire on myself last year. Oops. I'll move the caliper and install a new line. Thank you! (I love this forum! You all are the best!)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Jalamiller wrote:
I just adjusted the caliper. Boy, where was my head at?!:?
Don't you just hate it when there's no one to throw wrenches and insults at but yourself? The worst part is when you won't talk to yourself for several days, it can get a bit lonely.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.