Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently replacing the pads on a 85 Goldwing gl1200 interestate and the cylinders are only depressing in with a clamp and lots of work. That is, I have the brake calipers off and I'm pushing in the master cylinder to make space for new pads but it's rough going. I can do it, but I'm wondering if this means it needs a rebuild. Thoughts?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you pushing the pistons in straight? I usually use an old pad.
Do you have enough (some) free play in the master cylinder?

If not, yes its time for a rebuild.

David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pushing them in with a padded c-clamp, straight.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sounds like you got it. I use a pair c shaped vice grips and a old brake pad. I squeeze it a little and tighten the clamp some more.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds like you need to rebuild it,the rubber seals get hard and are tough to move,they are cheap,after 35 years,do it
i just did mine took 100 psi to blow one out.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
If you decide to repair the caliper, once you have the pistons and seals removed ...get a dental type pick to clean the seal grooves. The corrosion builds up behind the rubber seal and tightens the piston seal fit.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Good idea to go through the system if you don't know the history. A cleaning and fluid change really isn't that big of a job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I only have one rebuild kit at the moment and my front right brake really needs it. Do I need to replace the rubber if I open it up? Or could I open up the brake just to clean it? Wanting to get on the road this week, don't want to wait around for the kit.

Also, @OnaWingAndaPrayer .... "get a dental type pick to clean the seal grooves". Seal grooves? Can you give me a little more detail so when I open it up I will know what you're talking about? Thank you.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
The seals sit in a groove...
If you are careful and the seals aren't stiff, or torn, cleaning and reassembly should get you back on the road.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Its a lot of bike and you only have one kneck, reusing a brake seal is bad economy in my opinion, especialy as it is only the "twisting" of the seal in the groove that pulls the piston back off the pad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts