Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

here i am again,:D

this time i am in dire need of a rear caliper for my 83 wing gl1100:crying:if anyone has one or knows where i might be able to find one PLEASE let me know the cost and shipping :(also the rear brake pedal is hard to push down and will not return to the at rest position :baffled:any one with ideas or helpful hints HELP :crying:in need in upstate new york :11brown:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Doesn't sound like a brake caliper then. Sounds like your brake pedal pivot point is all rusted up and need to be lubed. There is also a spring that helps return it to the rest position. Get down there and push down by hand, it should move with little effort both directions.

Ebay is a good bet for parts like that, unless you're in a hurry.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

When I got my '83I last year, my rear brake pedal was gummed up and I had to pull it up with my toe. I got down there and started spraying WD-40 on it while pumping the pedal by hand. It took a while but it finally freed up. I think I sprayed some other lube but I can't remember what I used(old timers disease:p). However, it's still working fine as right now.

What makes you believe you need the caliper? Is it damaged or do you think this is the cause of the other problem. You probably just need to take it apart and clean it up real well. A new set of seals, new pads maybe and away you go. However, if you've ridden your bike with the pedal hanging up, you may indeed have warped something. But, try the simple stuff first. While you're at it, you might as well clean up the other two calipers also.

Let's us know how you proceed and we'll be happy to help you out.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hi Sam.

thanks for the reply . when i took the saddle bag off i noticed that both pistons were out and they wouldn't retract, so i pulled the caliper and got one piston to come out of the caliper but i couldn't get the other on to budge. i am now waiting on a friend to bring his portable compressor over so i can try and blow the piston out and clean it up real good and replace the seals. as for the brake pedal sticking i sprayed it with a half can of pb blaster and it still hangs up and won't return to at rest. is there a special tool for taking the brake pedal off the pivot arm. It looks like it has a allen head bolt in it but with a divider in the center. any help is greatly appreciated. i am in a ride for the CNY Childrens Miracle Network on the 22nd of this month and need to get her up and running by then. again thanks

Frank

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem on my '81. Piston on the caliper was seized - removed, cleaned, new o-rings and seals - works great. The right thing to do.

The trick I used on the brake pedal was to remove the connection to the master cylinder so I could get more travel moving the pedal up and down. Working it with LOTS of WD-40 finally worked it loose. Need to liquefy and work the gunk out. Took about 20 minutes.

hossners

'81 gl1100i se

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

:goofygrin:just wanted to say thanks for the info it all worked great and it is now running great for me no more sticky brake at all......... again thanks........

frank:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin: :11red::cool::angel2::11red:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.