Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just started doing this on the way back from a 1100 mile trip from Atlanta to Clearwater FL. Doesn't seem to be locking up the brakes once I pull it up it rolls freely. Spring seems alright and I checked the brake fluid. Any ideas out there? Thanks, I'm pretty new to the boards and really appreciate any help.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You'll need to pull and clean and lube the pedal mount/pivot.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

+1 on the pedal pivot needs to be lubricated . I hope you had an enjoyable time in my back yard :ROFL:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Agreed it's not uncommon on the older bikes. I had to remove, clean up and relube the brake pedals on at least four 1100s in my old shop. You might get away with some PBS Blaster and working the pedal but the only lasting cure is to do it right. I recommend boat trailer wheel bearing grease for relubing, the stuff is designed to resist water and should last longer. Be sure to clean the inside of the pivot tube on the pedal well as well as the mounting post. A good thick and solid coating of grease is what's needed. Oil isn't much good on these.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys sounds like that should work. And yes it was a great trip to Clearwater. Went to Quaker Steak and Lube for Wed night bike night. Never seen that many bikes at one bar before!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.