Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

What are the symptoms of the brake master cyliner needing a rebuild? My rear caliper was leaking and I figured this was the reason why I could not get the mushiness out of the rear brake pedal. I would bleed it and it would get so far then I would lose the pressure. I figure it was the fluid getting past the seal.

I rebuilt the rear caliper today and when I started pumping the brake pedal it started getting stiff and the caliper did not leak. Then I lost the pressure and could not get any at all. I pumped the brake pedal for 15 minutes and nothing. Then I disconnected the rear brake lineto see if any fluid was coming thru the line. I passed 3 master cylinder full loads of clean fluid thru the rear line. However it seemed to be coming thru kind of sporadically and not a nice steady series of squirts.

I then put everything back together and nothing - it is as if there is no fluid getting to the caliper - no pressure the pedal keeps going all the way down.

So - I took off the pump that connects to the brake pedal and blew air thru the line from the pump to the rear caliper - to see if there was blockage. I got air thru it and it seem clear. I also disconnected the hose from master cylinder reservoir to the pump and the fluid flowed thru.

Am I correct in thinking that the pump unit is shot? I am not familiar enough with this to know how to check it out. I poured fluid in the small reservoir that is filled by the master cylinder ( there are 2 little holes in there) and pumped the unit. Should I get fluid out of the other hole that connects to the rear line while pumping?

Maybe the master cylinder needs rebuilt? Don't know...

I need some help as I do not want to purchase more than I need.

Thanks in advance

JM

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Looks like I need to do my homework before posting. I got a hold of a Honda workshop manual and now realize that what I referred to as the "pump" in my previous email is indeed the master cylinder. I am pretty certain that this is the problem. I was not aware that this could be rebuilt. DUH...

:shock:

JM

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

JM, It really sounds like the master cylinder is faulty. If you are not getting any air bubbles in th efluid when you bled it, then the fluid is probably coming past the seal and back into the reservoir. Get someone to pump the pedal while you look into the reservoir and if you can see the fluid jetting up then the seal is leaking. I have the part number of the rebuild kit somewhere. I'll post it tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.