Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

What are the symptoms of the brake master cyliner needing a rebuild? My rear caliper was leaking and I figured this was the reason why I could not get the mushiness out of the rear brake pedal. I would bleed it and it would get so far then I would lose the pressure. I figure it was the fluid getting past the seal.

I rebuilt the rear caliper today and when I started pumping the brake pedal it started getting stiff and the caliper did not leak. Then I lost the pressure and could not get any at all. I pumped the brake pedal for 15 minutes and nothing. Then I disconnected the rear brake lineto see if any fluid was coming thru the line. I passed 3 master cylinder full loads of clean fluid thru the rear line. However it seemed to be coming thru kind of sporadically and not a nice steady series of squirts.

I then put everything back together and nothing - it is as if there is no fluid getting to the caliper - no pressure the pedal keeps going all the way down.

So - I took off the pump that connects to the brake pedal and blew air thru the line from the pump to the rear caliper - to see if there was blockage. I got air thru it and it seem clear. I also disconnected the hose from master cylinder reservoir to the pump and the fluid flowed thru.

Am I correct in thinking that the pump unit is shot? I am not familiar enough with this to know how to check it out. I poured fluid in the small reservoir that is filled by the master cylinder ( there are 2 little holes in there) and pumped the unit. Should I get fluid out of the other hole that connects to the rear line while pumping?

Maybe the master cylinder needs rebuilt? Don't know...

I need some help as I do not want to purchase more than I need.

Thanks in advance

JM

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Looks like I need to do my homework before posting. I got a hold of a Honda workshop manual and now realize that what I referred to as the "pump" in my previous email is indeed the master cylinder. I am pretty certain that this is the problem. I was not aware that this could be rebuilt. DUH...

:shock:

JM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.