Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I tore this stuck rear brake apart It had a third brake plate without the lining, being used as some kind of shim I guess so the piston won't have to come out as far. I removed that and rebuilt both caliper and master cyl. with all new parts. I cannot get the pedal to not want to bottom out on the frame when you hit it hard. The bike will stop but I don't like the pedal travel. I have powerbled , forward and backward bled. There is no air in the system. I have adjusted out the rod as far as it will go on the piston. Still it feels mushy and alot of travel Help Jim

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the Master Cylinder to me.

I have also heard that the rubber break lines can get weak and expand when you apply pressure to the system. Might be time for new hoses.

Bob

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I had a similar thing with my GL1000. I rebuilt the master cylinder and the caliper and properly bled the system multiple times! Finally, I replaced the rear metal brake line and it fixed the mushy feeling. I can't understand why but I swear it worked, maybe it broke some air bubbles loose or something.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jimijet wrote:
When I tore this stuck rear brake apart It had a third brake plate without the lining, being used as some kind of shim I guess so the piston won't have to come out as far. I removed that and rebuilt both caliper and master cyl. with all new parts. I cannot get the pedal to not want to bottom out on the frame when you hit it hard. The bike will stop but I don't like the pedal travel. I have powerbled , forward and backward bled. There is no air in the system. I have adjusted out the rod as far as it will go on the piston. Still it feels mushy and alot of travel Help Jim
Jim, it's either a bad master cylinder or you still have air in the system. If the pedal was okay before the rebuild you've got air left in the fluid. Give it another shot the old fashioned way, hand bleed it and crack the nut on the output of the master and the banjo bolt on the caliper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.