Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a picture of the rear brake master cylinder with the circlip installed. What is the purpose of this circlip? It's not holding anything in place on my bike. Does it just keep the washer that's located just below the peen on top of the linkage from contacting the casting? Or what? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
give us a pic and we will give you a fruit cake and maby some help

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
in the photo it appears to be holding the washer , piston , and spring in place . Once attached to the frame and linked to the brake pedal I guess its only holding the washer , as the pushrod is holding everything else .

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
It holds everything together. If you leave it out or if it comes out on it's own the pedal will rise way up and pull all the guts out of the MC.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
dave o430 is right

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in the photo it appears to be holding the washer , piston , and spring in place . Once attached to the frame and linked to the brake pedal I guess its only holding the washer , as the pushrod is holding everything else .
Maybe I have it installed wrong, but this one's not holding anything now. It's just sitting in the groove at the bottom of the master cylinder. Is the washer on the pushrod supposed to go underneath the circlip, as you look at it in the photograph?

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It holds everything together. If you leave it out or if it comes out on it's own the pedal will rise way up and pull all the guts out of the MC.
Dave,

If my post #9 is correct, what you're saying makes sense to me. It wasn't set up that way when I took it apart though. And there was "peanut butter" and dried up white stuff -- must have been drier brake fluid -- all over the inside of the boot. Lordy.

Boy, I'm glad you guys are out there. It takes a lot of time (and brains) to become a good mechanic, doesn't it.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I believe there should be a spring. rubber cup, aluminum piston then the washer on the push rod then the circlip to hold it all together. Make sure very clean before assembly and clean the pressure relief hole, then bleed system.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I believe there should be a spring. rubber cup, aluminum piston then the washer on the push rod then the circlip to hold it all together. Make sure very clean before assembly and clean the pressure relief hole, then bleed system.
Yes the push rod seems to be missing in the picture posted.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the push rod seems to be missing in the picture posted.
You're right. That's the way I had (mistakenly) put it together. The washer, of course, is not underneath it. I should have been able to figure it out, but I mis-read the diagram in the manual. Thank you, and everyone else, for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.