Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the dealer getting new shoes for the bike.
Technician says the rivets holding the rotor are worn and the rotor should be changed. Like $800 .00 job

Now I see it's mostly BS. The rivets were a bit grounded on the side towards the break pad . They don't know what created that.

The question is
Is a rotor that expensive.?
Can I do the job myself or requires a special tool.
Most likely I'll do nothing
Your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,285 Posts
Changing a rotor AND pads is not a tough job at all with very basic skills on board. There are good non-Honda brands out there. I don't see which model you are working on?
If you can remove the wheel, you can do the job for far less. Check out EBC parts for example.

Reactions: Peter Goldwing

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,854 Posts
yup,
I got the whole rear drive assembly for peanuts, it was "almost" worn out with 85 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup,
I got the whole rear drive assembly for peanuts, it was "almost" worn out with 85 miles on the clock.
Thought these things are supposed to last forever under normal operating condition with timely change of the pads

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
If you are talking about the rear rotor it is $675 retail so $800 for the job isn't that bad but it is pretty easy to change, just remove the rear wheel, caliper and 2 screws hold the rotor to the final drive. If the rivets are still mostly good with a little wear on the heads I wouldn't worry. No idea what could have done that.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
376 Posts
Technician says the rivets holding the rotor are worn and the rotor should be changed. Like $800 .00 job

Now I see it's mostly BS. The rivets were a bit grounded on the side towards the break pad . They don't know what created that.

The question is
Your thoughts?

On a 5th generation Gold Wing (2001-2017) worn rivets are caused by improperly installed brake pads.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really agree with that. I went back to see if I change them on the road some place. Found it

Ok John Its spelled wrong since as an electrical contractor I deal a lot with breakers
Im going to ask for my money back when I get there LOL

Discussion Starter · #233 · Jun 2, 2018

Rode 600 miles today from Yukon Ok to Grant NM. Temperatures stayed below 80F till Albuquerque. After that went up to 94 for the last leg.

I have called many dealers on my way and only Honda Polaris of Albuquerque had the adaptor in stock.
Since I was there I had a new tire installed in the back and new break pads .

·
Premium Member
39 Posts

The question is
Your thoughts?

I know my local dealer is charging well over a hundred dollars and hour just for labor now plus he adds another twenty dollars or more for the rags they use to wipe their hands on when they are working. I do everything myself now, and save hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
1985 GL1200
27 Posts
The brake rotors do not tolerate side loads well. Laying the wheel down on the ground can affect the rotors this could have been from a tire change. If your rotors aren’t rattling when you move them by hand then I wouldn’t worry. Keep an eye on them to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
757 Posts
If you are talking about the rear rotor it is $675 retail so $800 for the job isn't that bad but it is pretty easy to change, just remove the rear wheel, caliper and 2 screws hold the rotor to the final drive. If the rivets are still mostly good with a little wear on the heads I wouldn't worry. No idea what could have done that.
From MRcycles. A lot less than most places.

DISK, RR. BRAKE
43250-MCA-013
$471.87

1 - 16 of 16 Posts