Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Couldn't find this with the search...

Thinking about replacing the rear /brake/running light bulbs with direct replacement led bulbs. My service manual shows these to be wedge type bulbs "12V 21/5W ECE". Nowhere that I can find in the manual does it state what type other than wedge. I am looking for a number that I can match up the bulb to on somewhere like SuperbrightLEDS.com.

I remember seeing somewhere on this forum that type 1157/1156 is used on GL1800's. Not so on the 2008, the 1157 is not a wedge bulb. Wingstuff has a wedge bulb from Kuryakyn for the GL1800 listed as type 161/168 however none of the bulbs listed on SuperbrightLEDS.com of this type are dual intensity.

I called my local Dealer and they could only tell me what I already know. Does anyone know what bulb # I need? Looking for direct replacement bulbs (LED) for the rear brake/running lights on a 2008 Goldwing.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Unless they have came out with a new product to fit the new wedge sockets, that I do not know about, you have to change the sockets also.

There are some wedge type bulbs on the market but for clear lenses only, Mazda/Cars have them too, but they are single bulbs, not the 1157 Cluster LEDs. So the light output would drastically decrease.

Kit

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info Kit.I dont want to modify the OEM assembly. I'll wait for the correct bulb to come out.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

I don't think that is going to work well.

Note the LEDs are "looking out" straight away from the contacts.

The way the lamps fit in an 1800 tail lamp, from the drawing up above, seems to me that the bulb is 90 degrees to the lens.

If so, there won't be any or very little light to the rear of the lens from that LED assembly.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I don't think that is going to work well.

Note the LEDs are "looking out" straight away from the contacts.

The way the lamps fit in an 1800 tail lamp, from the drawing up above, seems to me that the bulb is 90 degrees to the lens.

If so, there won't be any or very little light to the rear of the lens from that LED assembly.

You are right about that, but I was trying to figure out what typeof bulb I needed, I was only interested in the socket type.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yep they are 7443 bulbs. I took one out of the trunk lights and they are the same as the front turn signals they are all 12V 21/5W 7443 bulbs.

Now I just have to find a good LED replacement.

If I find something worhtwhile I'll put in this thread.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

With all the products on the market, with enough looking things always do seem to be there.

If you do try them I would be interested in their visibility. Might be try just one and see if it is highly visible during daylight hours?

Before they came out with the improved bright cluster bulbs for the 1157 most of the LED bulbs were pretty dim. These might be good, might not be. The Wing does have good reflectors in the light housings, but do think I would try one first, to see.

Kit

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Kit,

I'm going to order a couple of different ones to see what I like best. I'll let you know what I think when I get them. 4 of the lights are at a 90 at 2 go straight in, so I'll consider that when I order.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The SMT Tower V with 48 LED's works the best for all 6 running/brake lights on my 2008 GL1800. The LED bulbs are just a hair brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs. They are pricey at $24.99 per bulb, replacing all 6 running/brake lights will cost $149.94. If you want to replace the turn signals as well thats 2 more bulbs plus load equalizers.

http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

But then the alternative is the Show Chrome trunk LED's for $163.00 plus the Show Chrome Saddlebag LED's for $195.00.

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/1800_lights

So I lightened the electrical load and kept the stock lights replacing the bulbs with LED's.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hi, 3rdwing. I've just read your email string about the running lights/brake lights on your wing. I'm looking at doing the same thing plus the turn signals. Have you done your turn signals yet? If so did you have to add a load resistor or change the flasher?

Here's a link to the ones I thought I'd try. They are 47mm long vs stock at about 41mm but if yours worked fine, then these should as well. I only ordered 2 of them and will try your source next if I don't like the spread/brightness.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/744x-xLX3.htm

Thanks for any info. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hello, drdrbcat:

When I orderd my LED bulbs I ordered two different kinds one was very similar to the one you ordered and the other was the 48 - LED bulb. The one you ordered is a bright light that produces a concentrated beam and did not create enought light to be of any use as a taillight. 4 of the tail light bulbs go in at a 90 degree angle so the bulb you ordered will be lacking there. 2 of the tail light bulbs go stright in, but even on those the bulb type you ordered are no where near as bright as the stock bulbs. I suggest you order 1 of the 48 led bulbs and install it next to a stock bulb in the trunk. Then you can compare the two. I did this and found the 48 - LED bulb to be slightly brighter than the stock bulb. I have not replaced the flasher bulbs yet. I am waiting for the local Honda shop to figure out what kind of flasher relay I need. When they do my annual service and check/replace the air filter (prepaid service 3 years) they will also replace the flasher relay and I will replace the flasher bulbs then.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

There has been a new developement on the LED bulbs I used to replace the stock taillights. After spending hours trying to figure out why my radio reception was suddenly crap, I pulled the led bulbs and put the stock bulbs back in, the radio reception was as good a new again. It seems these led bulbs somehow cause interference with the radio reception. So once again I have the stock bulbs back in and have given up on LED replacement bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hi 3rdwing
Thanks for sharing your experience with LED bulbs. I would like to change my rear turn signal to make them more visible, but so far have not been able to find anything suitable.
Have a great day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.