Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Time to replace rear pads..they wore out really quickly the last time.. 3500k miles. The caliper has been rebuilt and the footbrake laver does not stick, I just tend to trailbrake. I would like to upgrade to better pads and if possible install an 82 aspencade vented rear rotor. Does anyone know if it will fit without modifications? I have an 82 standard with a solid rear disc.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Wow! 3,500,000 miles, that's a lot actually...None of the 4 cylinder wings had vented rear rotors, but some had vented front rotors.

Before you install new pads, rebuild the rear caliper. More than likely, there is lots of crud not allowing the caliper pistons to relax, and leaving residual pressure on the pad.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

If you are using aftermarket pads like EBC I have seen complaints that they don't last long.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

You can use the VENTED (82/83Aspencade)rear rotor . YouWILL NEED the caliper braket for the vented rotor. ITs got a slightly wider slot for the rotor . If you find the vented rotor try and get the same person to sell you the braket . I bought 3 " Aspncade " brakets before I finally got a honest sale of an actual Aspencade braket , they are different. If you purchase a braket and the stainless steel plate is missing , you can take your standard plate and file the opening to fit.I use the EBC FA69 pads . There organic and do wear . I would rather the pad wear then the the disc .

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks a buch guys, I guess I will stick with what I have for now. Maybe I'll get to upgrade next time.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Was the wear on the pads even? If one pad is wearing quite a bit faster than the other it's an indication that the caliper is frozen. Often the sleeve that passes through the caliper where the smaller bolt goes becomes corroded and stuck. If it's not free to slip easily through the caliper casting there will be uneven pad wear which seriously shortens their service life.

Using mostly rear brake is going to cause premature brake wear both on the pads and disk. If you notice, you have two disks on the front brake and only one on the rear. That's because due to weight transfer when braking 75% or so of effective braking is accomplished by the front brakes. It really can be a dangerous habit not to use the front brakes as they are designed to be used because in a panic situation you may not use the front brakes enough which will extend your stopping distance by a factor of two to three times the normal distance.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Sorry, but only the front rotors are vented on the GL1100 Aspencade. A rear vented rotor make no sense, there is little air flow back in that area.

There is NO difference in the rear wheel assembly between the Interstate and Aspencade (of the same year model).

The front wheel, yes, much differences...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Sorry, but only the front rotors are vented on the GL1100 Aspencade. A rear vented rotor make no sense, there is little air flow back in that area.

There is NO difference in the rear wheel assembly between the Interstate and Aspencade (of the same year model).

The front wheel, yes, much differences...
i have 4 aspencades out here and a spare rear wheel off a 82 aspencade. the 82s have vented rear rotors on them and the 83s dont. JB

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
Has anyone tried to drill holes in the rotors to make them vented?

I thought the thing of venting the rotors was for no water building up when using the brakes in the rain.
these are vented thru the center a lot like car or truck rotors. jb

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JBZ wrote:
i have 4 aspencades out here and a spare rear wheel off a 82 aspencade. the 82s have vented rear rotors on them and the 83s dont. JB
Yep, I have an '82 Aspencade in my garage with vented rotors on both front and rear. 1100 brakes are a source of confusion, I don't think there's any year where the brakes were the same as another. Likewise the brakes varied within the same year on different models. Honda engineers must have gone nuts in the early 80s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.