Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,

I just rebuilt the rear reservoir, blew out the caliper, and put new pads on my 77 GL1000 today and when i was trying to bleed the brakes, I can't get it to build pressure. Its definitely bleeding properly. When I put a line on the bleeder valve, with the line going into a container with brake fluid, and I pump the pedal a bunch, I get nothing but solid fluid going through the line. When I close the bleeder valve, it won't build pressure after pressing it a bunch. It'll grab ever so lightly when I spin the tires and hit the pedal a bunch of times, but won't retain any pressure or grab tight. There are no leaks. Any idea what to do?

Thanks guys

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
I think you may have a problem in the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Did you have to replace the "rubber" cups (seals) internally? If so are you sure you have the lip facing the right way? The lip has to face toward the closed end of the master cylinder or it won't build pressure.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have to replace the "rubber" cups (seals) internally? If so are you sure you have the lip facing the right way? The lip has to face toward the closed end of the master cylinder or it won't build pressure.:)
Oh shoot, yeah the cup must be backwards then. Shoot. I had to break the snap ring out and it all jumped out so i never saw exactly which direction the cup went in. Thanks man!!

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
All seals go with the lip facing pressure. The force in the cupped part pushes it put to seal. If you put it in backward the force goes between the bore and the seal and pushes it together for no sea. :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts