Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Recently purchased a 1993 Goldwing 1500 SE and the previous owner mentioned that this year had a reaccuring problem with no rear brakes, is this True? Well this bike has this problem. Confirm rear reserviour is serviced and pads look great. Have not tried to bleed brakes yet. Any suggestions in checfking what first before dismantling the bike since the bags prevent access.

John

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
imported post

Never heard that one before. Of course the first thing to do is bleed it. The rear brake also works one of the front calipers, the left one on the 1500 I think so be sure to bleed it too.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome .

I have only been riding my 1500 since June , so I am no expert on it for sure . I can tell you the rear brakes are linked to one front brake caliper , in what Honda calls a Unified Brake System . I believe the rear brake and left front caliper are the pair thats interconnected . When you use the brake pedal , some brake power is metered to the left front . So when you begin to bleed the brakes you should bleed the left front first and then the rear . I hope this helps .

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Dave is right, first job is to try bleed the brakes and see if you are getting good fluid pressure at the caliper. If you are the. The pistons may be seized and not pushing out when you hit the brakes. Seized pistons are common if the Wing was laid up for long periods.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
imported post

definately bleed the brakes thoroughly, make sure you bleed the banjo fitting on the handle barfirst, and then the entire system. also make sure there is nothing wrong with the caliper. sticking, hung up ect..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd bleed the front linked brake first then the rear caliper. If you can't get the brake pedal to get solid it might be necessary to inspect the rear master. There are two ports between the cylinder bore and the reservoir. They look like 1/8" holes. The one closest to the output end of the cylinder looks like a dead ended hole but it has a very small hole at the bottom of the larger hole that passes into the cylinder bore. If this gets plugged it's near impossible to bleed the system. I usually clamp a whisker from a wire brush in a vise grip to poke out the small hole. Don't try to drill it out unless you have a bit the correct size. I can't tell you what size the hole is but it would take a jeweler's drill bit. Luckily just poking it out usually works okay.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
definately bleed the brakes thoroughly, make sure you bleed the banjo fitting on the handle barfirst, and then the entire system. also make sure there is nothing wrong with the caliper. sticking, hung up ect..
Read his post again.............His problem is the "rear brake".

Bleeding the banjo fitting at the handlebar has nothing to do with the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks everyone for the Serb advice. Great weekend ahead and hoping I find nothing serious so not to delay a ride while the weather is great. A reply to a comment about the rear master cylinder. The HAINS manual saids to remove bag, lay bike on its side and remove both mufflers. From just a quick glance I don't believe this is necessary but again this is the first93 Ive's own. Previous model was a 82 Interstate. After 4 cross country trips from New Mexico to Va, I had accumulated 79ooo miles and finally replace both rear and front although front was ok but with the amount of miles it was a simple job.

Will post what I find and what a great site with excellent riders.

John

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I removed the left saddle bag to access the rear caliper and was later told it was not necessary as there is an access panel in the back of the saddle bag, check this before you start. I have not had a chance to look yet. Good luck.

Terry

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

T.Hambley wrote:
I removed the left saddle bag to access the rear caliper and was later told it was not necessary as there is an access panel in the back of the saddle bag, check this before you start. I have not had a chance to look yet. Good luck.

Terry
There is a round rubber plug on the back side of the left saddlebag, the bleed valve is behind that plug. We just bleed the rear brakes on a 1996 Gold Wing tonight using that access hole.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I started from the front and worked my way to the back. Sure enough there is an access hole. No air was noted and pressure on rear brake pedal increased but still too spongee. Took the suggestion of using a small wire to clean out access holes but without removing the master cylinder I couldn't tell if I did any good. Truely believe rear master cyclinder is deffective. For now just backing off and re-evaluate what to do next.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.