Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Collected my bike earlier from the docks as mentioned in general.

Everything seems fine except for the rear brakes.

The front brakes are working perfectly, all brake lights are coming on, rear included, but when you apply the rear brakes whether driving or sitting on it they have no effect at all, its as if they're not there.

Does anyone know of anything that would cause this?

Could it be something simple like an air bubble in the fluid?

Also theres a slight wobble from the front of the bike when

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

takeing off, I've heard this is normal at low speeds from the 1500 aspencade, is it?

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey GroundZero, :waving:This must be a new way of increasing your post count by making the latter part of your mesg as a second post, Ah well. :stumped: Good luck with your :15red:and have many safe miles. :grinner: I dont know anything about brakes only that they slow me down when i touch them, :crying:but a "Guru" is bound to come along this road very soon. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The wobble (notnormal by the way)might be caused by a bad tyre or low fork oil. The rear brake used on it's own isn't the best, but if it is almost useless and the pedal is still hard, I'd say the calliper pistones are stuck and need to be stripped and clean. If there was air in the system then the pedal would be soft.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Nah redwing, must be a word limit or something, thats why I had to finish the last para in a new post as it just wouldn't let me type any more.

Enlisted the problem is that I don't know how the pedals supposed to feel in the first place :p

I wouldn't say it seemed hard though feels as if the only pressure is due to the spring in the pedal.

The rear brakes however are completly useless, as in they don't work at all, and come to think of it, (just caught on there now), since the brakes are meant to be interlinked, surely the front should be getting applied automatically when the rear is used, in which case the pedal should still stop the bike, (due to the interlinked front disk, if used at a walking pace?

So why would the front not be getting applied either when the rear was used?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

If neither the linked one or the back are working and the pedal is soft then you will need to bleed the brakes. Only air or a faulty master cylinder would cause this. Bleed them both and see if that helps. You will need a few bleed attempts as they linked system takes time to get the air out.

BTW, There isn't a word limit here, well its 64k and that's enough to write pages. You probably got a slowdown on your PC where you typed and nothing appeared on the page. Just one of those things.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

If the pedal is travelling all the way down to the stop, then you have air in the fluid. First task is to bleed the rear and the linked front (right side) callipers. Seeif that does the trickfirst. Poor brakes on a Wing is often caused by the bike lieing up for ages.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot at the weekend.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it though :p

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As usual the guys aregiving you the right stuff, if the pedal hits the stop, either no fluid or air in the system. If the fluid is up and pumping the pedal doesn't bring it up, it's either air or the master cylinder is bad. If the pedal doesn't hit the stop and feels solid like the brake in a car, then you need to look at the calipers. I'm banking on air in the systemor low fluid since both front and rear don't work.

The brake lights will come on even if you cut the brake lines since they are switches activated by pedal and hand lever movement. I miss the old days when cars had hydraulic pressure activated brake lights.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Slow wobble is not a good thing, as it tends to come back at higher speeds.

Check:

-Fork oil level

-Air pressure in all tires, forks, and rear shocks.

-Torque on the triple tree must be in spec, and check for wear on the steering bearings.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks all,

Spent the morning removing the seat, left panier, front mudguard, disc covers, then bleed the front and rear brakes.

Turned out you were right and it was caused by air in the fluids, all rakes are now working fine.

On the downside a washer or something must have fell into the front rims while it was in the garage, as now theres a rattling when the front wheel spins which is louder than the engine

:D

I've been told it'll fall out itself eventually though.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

GroundZero wrote:
Thanks all,

Spent the morning removing the seat, left panier, front mudguard, disc covers, then bleed the front and rear brakes.

Turned out you were right and it was caused by air in the fluids, all rakes are now working fine.

On the downside a washer or something must have fell into the front rims while it was in the garage, as now theres a rattling when the front wheel spins which is louder than the engine

:D

I've been told it'll fall out itself eventually though.
Might take a while. I know a guy had a small bush fall into his rim and it took over 300 miles to fall out. Try a short thin magnetised screwdriver and put it into one of the slots, taping the handle to the wheel. Spin the wheel a few times and eventually the washer will attach to the screwdriver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.