Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My rear brakes will not pressure up at all. I have bled them. I have dissabled the brakes and cleaned everything but still cannot get enough pressure to close the pads on the rotor. The bike has 42,000 easy miles on it, pads are good as is the rotor.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi rf and welcome to the forum you need to bleed the front first as the brakes are linked to one side if memory serves me right its the left side you will know when you pull the front lever you will need to remove the rotor cover to bleed them

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I don't think the brakes are linked on this model but will check and make sure. Thanks..

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

rfcook wrote:
I don't think the brakes are linked on this model but will check and make sure. Thanks..
It is unless someone modified it.... All Gold Wings starting in 1983, and thereafterare/were made with linked systems..

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Did a check and you guys are correct. It is currently 102 degrees in this part of Texas, so the bleeding will have to wait until morning. Will let you know the outcome tomorrow. What I don't understand is why the rear brakes, all at once, ceased to function. No brake work of any kind had been done on the bike, no leaks are evident so?????

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

where the lever strikes the master cynilder pull off the rubber booth you will prob find the leak there wont be much but the best place to draw air

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Still hunting for answers. System has been cvompletely bled, front and back. Rear brakes will close enough to barely grip the rotor but not enough to bring the cycle to a stop. My next project is going to be replacing the o-rings in the cylinders. Any helpful hints from anyone?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Be sure to bleed out at the banjo bolts as well.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

try and clamp the flexy hoses see if the padal/lever becomes hard if it does then that is where the air is simples

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Depress the brake pedal and hang a weight off the pedal overnight. That will force any residual air in the system to the master cylinder where it is harmless. After doing this, if the brakes still won't work correctly, you likely have a mechanical problem with the braking system rather than air in the system. You can use this same concept to bleed the front brake and clutch by tying back the levers overnight.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Now that is a concept that is completely new to me and is sure worth a try. The rear brake pedal curently goes all the way down with absolutely no resistance at all despite all the bleeding that has been done. Nothing has made any difference. I guess the next step is to take it to the local cycle shop and pay them $70/hr. and see if they can remedy the situation. I have been riding off and on for almost 50 years and have never encountered a problem like this.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

you may have air trapped at resovoir on handle bar. try pumping rear brake up and loosen and tighten there.

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Mark,
The biggest trouble is that the rear brake does not pump up. There is no pressure at all.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Mark,
The biggest trouble is that the rear brake does not pump up. There is no pressure at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.