Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Changing rear tire, reinstalling brakes, I was greasing the pins that the caliper slides on. The rear pin has a rubber sleeve that kept sliding up the pin not allowing the pin to go in right. Is the rubber supposed to be glued onto the pin? I guess I need to just buy a new one? Anyone else have this happen?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The rubber should fit in the grooves without glue. But with age and copper grease the rubber gets soft and will not want to stay in place.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Brian, There is a groove around the pin and one in the caliper that each end of the rubber fits in to hold it in place. But as Ted says age is a killer on rubber parts.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Those boots on my 81 were hard and cracked. Usually I soak them in rubber protectant for a few days and it softens them up, but these were beyound saving. New ones come with a rebuild kit (about $22). Unless they've been rebuilt before, your calipers are due for a rebuild anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I did finally get it in, it's not something I'm proud of, but it seems to work OK, no binding. Maybe I'll do the rebuild kit next time I take it off. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.