Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,
Several very knowledgeable posters on this site insist that there’s no such thing as a stupid question, and I’m here to test that claim.

I’ve been reassembling a 1981 GL1100 for six years in my spare (!) time, and the thing is finally back together and running. I can’t say enough about this forum, as you all have helped me out more times than I can count. I’ve run into a weird issue, however. Near as I can tell, the machine started life as a naked bike, then had an Aspencade luggage rack and bag hardware mounted to the rear. It had Honda luggage and a Windjammer fairing on it when I bought it. I’ve restored it to being a naked bike but don’t have the rear grab rail/“bumper” thing that goes around the seat and mounts to the rear fender. Without it, the rear fender rocks on its bolts - it sits down like it should, but rocks upward. I’ve seen no mention of this anywhere else on these forums, so I figure I’m doing something wrong mounting it. I just don’t know what. I’d be grateful for any insight anyone can provide. This problem and turn signals are the only thing preventing me from finally taking this noble steed on a shakedown cruise!

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
That grab rail is what holds the fender up, they are hard to find.

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You might want to try Ebay or a salvage yard, also check the 'For Sale/Wanted' on the forum someone may have parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thanks much for your responses! It looked to me like the grab rail was what held the fender in place, but that just seemed like a weird way to design a fender. :surprise:
I appreciate your help - I’ll find the rail and mount it. Once again, the Gold Wing Facts forum enlightens me!

·
Premium Member
64,301 Posts
Hallo AndyD

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got one, thanks - the link wouldn’t open but I bet it was the same item I found on ebay. Should be here in the next week or so. I appreciate your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts