Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got a flat last sunday with 30 miles back to the house. With no plug kit it took 3 cans of fix a flat to get there. Got about 50 percent tread left on the tire but have decided to go with a CT. Have the Dunlop run flat winter sport ordered and am wondering if anyone can tell how much dyna bead weight will be needed?

Trying to get all my ducks in a row when I send my otherhalf on a misson to have the tire changed next week cause my work hours will not allow me to get it done.

Am also looking at a remote tire pressure sensing unit to monitor the tire pressure anyone have any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Good choice with tyre, i recently fitted a winter sport rof and dont think there is a need for dyna beeds but its your bike your choice,

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

I found THIS INFO on the Dyna bead site. For 195-205 car tires on motorcycles, use 3oz. However I know that the Darksides for the GL1500 are most commonly a 175. I am using 3oz and no weights and all good so far.

Also taken from their site:

Q. If I put in 2 oz, but the tire only needs 1 oz, what happens to the rest of the beads?

A: Only the beads required to counteract the imbalance will be used, the rest will distribute themselves evenly around the inside circumference of the tire. This is the beauty of the system. See the How it works page

So I figured that I would go with the 3oz instead of 2oz just to be on the safe side. JMHO

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Bigdaddy I have just mounted my wintersport . It's net yet on the bike . I put in 4oz of balancer .

As for a monitor system I purchsed this system Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems by Doran. I like it because the sensor could be mounted interally and not on the end of the 90* stems used on goldwing . This kit comes with a pair of metal 90* stems which are near identical to the goldwing stems . You have me a little ahead of being able to report how it works . I have a few pics already but I am not complete in getting it all mounted to the bike and operating . Report will follow once I am done .

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the responses, looks like i chose a decent tire. one more question,as long as the rim is off i want to grease the spline. bike has 50000 miles on it and have no idea if the dealer greased it when i picked it up with 44000 on it. After i pull the brake caliper does it just slide out of the differential or is there more to it. I assume the only place to get moly 60 is at mother honda?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Haven't heard anything about a valve stem in this plan...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

You probably will not have to balance the tire at all (and hence not need weights or dynabeads)... the Wintersports are better balanced than cycle tires.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Getcha one of dim 'dere rear Battlax tars and mount it backards on the front and you can be Oreo Darkside.

"Cuz, we ain't too smart but we like to party."

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Bigdaddykronk wrote:
Got a flat last sunday with 30 miles back to the house. With no plug kit it took 3 cans of fix a flat to get there. Got about 50 percent tread left on the tire but have decided to go with a CT. Have the Dunlop run flat winter sport ordered and am wondering if anyone can tell how much dyna bead weight will be needed?

Trying to get all my ducks in a row when I send my otherhalf on a misson to have the tire changed next week cause my work hours will not allow me to get it done.

Am also looking at a remote tire pressure sensing unit to monitor the tire pressure anyone have any recommendations?
i have the ct on mine and no beads. runs great

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Shame about the flat, but you're going to love that Wintersport.

I forgot to load up the Dynabeads when I changed out my tire and haven't had the time to get back to it. But in all likely-hood I won't. I did check the static balance and it was just about as close as possible. It is running smooth and I figure I'll just keep a close eye to watch the wear.

Pat

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I have had 3 different car tires on my wing, the first one was the Dunlop run flat winter sport and was by far the best so far. Put a Dunlap MC tire on just in time for a trip to Colorado, it had been about 40,000 miles since I had a MC tire on, really felt weird at first then I realized how much better it handled now but with a little over 3,000 miles and the MC tire is really showing severe cupping. I love the feel of the MC tire but the cheapskate in me loves the car tire.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for all the replys. The tire is mounted and balanced(didnt use bead) and put on the wing not more than an hour ago. Only thing i had to do was put a jack under the left centerstand leg while the bike was laying on its side to have enough clearance to get the tire in. think the highway peg was holding the bike up.

Went around the block and so far i like it. Will get a full test ride in tomorrow morning at 4am on the way to work.

Next on the list,TPMS

Oh ya, went with the Wintersport.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Nice choice in tire. I love my CT for it's feel as well as the tread life and the traction. To me it's more stable going slow and well, and after close to 5,000 miles on it so far, I'm used to it. :)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I got the test ride in while going to work and back home. I LOVE THE DARK SIDE!!

Took all of a minute to get use too. Seems to need just a little more push on the bars to start the turn(or just in my mind).

Two questions

One: how bad is the speedo affected?

Two: suggested tire pressure?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Bigdaddykronk wrote:
...suggested tire pressure?
> I'm running 41psi on my GL1500/Wintersport, however your 1800 may require a different pressure in order to attain a full contact patch across the center. Suggest that you push the bike through a patch of shallow water, and verify full-contact of the tire... adjust tire pressure as required. Or, put a light spray of bright paint across the width of the tire, and check it after a few miles.

Some people have reported wallowing when using this tire, yet I believe it was because they used too Low (32psi) a pressure... possibly resulting in the creation of Two contact patches across the width (eg Both edges in contact, but Center High) rather than just the normal One.... If that's what's actually happening, then it makes sense that the tire is toggling side-to-side, due to not having a single stable point (on center), but rather Two (on the edges).

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Bigdaddykronk wrote:
Two questions

One: how bad is the speedo affected?
Is the speedo driven off the transmission instead of the front wheel on a GL-1800???

:?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.