Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good day to all,

Here's some pics of my rear tire (left side of it)

It' on my 1985 Aspencade.

Dunlop 491 Elite II MV85B15MC77H

Any Ideas???

Thanks for your HELP :?

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Think I would change that tire before separation occurs. Hard to tell by the picture but sure doesn't look good. What kind of air pressure are you running?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

What year was the tire produced??? It's on the tire...find the date, usually just in two digits...04, 05, etc..... It it's older than anything....replace it... you are on borrowed time..Lots of people just look @ the tread, and think things look good, it's not worn out, that's not safe... rubber over a few years old will fly apart like everything...even when it looks like new, but is OLD... and properly inflated...been there, done that.... not fun... BE safe, run on new rubber (at least rubber within the last several years)...your life is at stake....

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
Think I would change that tire before separation occurs. Hard to tell by the picture but sure doesn't look good. What kind of air pressure are you running?
It's at 39 psi cold.

Any Idea why this is hapenning??

Is it too wide for the this machine??

IT's brand new from last summer...

What would you suggest as replacement?

Thanks again for the help ;)

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

It almost looks like a car tire in the picture. It also looks like the cords are showing through. Tires are a personal preference but I would definetly get another one. Take it back to where you bought it from and complain. Might get you some money off on a new tire or maybe it will be deemed defective and won't cost you anything.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
It almost looks like a car tire in the picture. It also looks like the cords are showing through. Tires are a personal preference but I would definetly get another one. Take it back to where you bought it from and complain. Might get you some money off on a new tire or maybe it will be deemed defective and won't cost you anything.
Will surely do so....

;)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

Without getting into personal preferences. Reports on this forum haven't been favorable on the 404.

Personally, from experience. I just think Dunlops are crap.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Without getting into personal preferences. Reports on this forum haven't been favorable on the 404.

Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Speaking from the point of riding an 1100 for 4 yrs ,I would give a good look under there and see if the brake torque arm is rubbing the tire . The 1200 may be set up different from the 1100 though.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

Cabrinni wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Any suggestions??
Right now I'm running Pirelli M66. They work well but seem to be wearing poorly. Real sticky though.

Normally I run Bridgestone Spitfire S11 F & R. Real good but discontinued in the rear size for a GL12. However I recently spoke with Bridgestone and they told me that tire has been re-issued by popular demand. Excellent feel and grip, 15k miles average life.

Continental makes good tires too. They come highly recommended by the Suzuki Cavalcade crowd.

·
Administrator
26,986 Posts
imported post

I about 1/2 agree with Dennis. Some kind of Dunlops are OK as in the E3s but not the 404, is is not built for the weight of a goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

I agree with William_86, it looks like something is rubbing against it. As for the Dunlop, I don't personally care for them either. I have Michelin on front and rear of my 1100, and it rides like my dad's 1500.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

I would first check and see if something is rubbing,I have heard of this happening if you put the bike in a real hard lean and the tire was not warmed up yet,I had one like that and that is wht I was told,I checked and nothing was rubbing so,it could've been that or as stated air pressure.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Looks like to me that something is rubbing on the tire to get a wear pattern like that.

I run the 491's on my 12 but from what I have read from people on here and other forums I might try the Shinkos next.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Speaking from the point of riding an 1100 for 4 yrs ,I would give a good look under there and see if the brake torque arm is rubbing the tire . The 1200 may be set up different from the 1100 though.
Yep! I had the same issue. Rubbing on the brake arm. 45 PSI cured it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.