Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, my 89 seems to be a used import from Japan (stating this as it may explain my query) as i gather the 89 was never released new to Australia.

The boot (trunk) tail lights act only as running lights, whereas the spoiler & lower rear lights act only as brake lights. The boot lightsappear to be wired for joint running/brake light operation & have the dual filament bulbs (which I optimistically replaced). Although I haven't looked, I'm assuming the lower are similarly wired.

Shouldn't the boot & lower lights operate both as running & brake lights? If so, would there have been a reason for this feature to be disabled? (fuse blowing perhaps). I also suspect the spoiler is aftermarket, although the wiring looks very professional.

Inote the manual refers to 30w bulbs, but the bike is fitted with 20w - although this may just be a convenience thing as my local auto stores only have 20w.

Any thoughts before I commence the archeological dig to connect things up the way I think they should be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I've got the top lights working ok. The left hand stop light wiring was simply disconnected. I couldn't find the right hand light wiring for certain, but suspect it was appropriated to connect to the spoiler brake light. I simply ran a wire across from the left connection to the right & all seems Ok. I'll replace the bulbs with LEDs just in case there was an overload problem-hopefully they will arrive this week.

With a bit of luck the lower set will be as simple. I'm watching carefully for any hint of overload, but hope the 20w bulbs used instead of the 32w in the manual specs may help avoid this.

Is anyone aware of any jurisdiction resticting the amount of tail or brake lights? I would have thought the more the better.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
imported post

Hi, my 88 is also a Japanese import and had the same rear light set up as yours. To make the saddle bag lights into stop/side light I had to run a wire from the block under the seat to the block connector hidden in the saddle bag corner covers.(did this for both sides). The loom that went from under the seat only had 2 wires, I managed to feed a wire down the loom tube and used bullet connectors each end. The top box lights although they have all the wires, Honda leave a pin out in the block at the bulb end, I just bridged the block with the brake light wire. I have fitted led's I bought from the states (light up 360 degrees)and they work great. Hope this helps.
Jim

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Most helpful thanks Jim. I was optimistically thinking the saddlebag lights would be as simple as the boot lights. Mine is an 89, but now I'm warned should the wiring for them not be immediately as evident.

(Just thought I'd check this forum before tackling the job - looks like I mow the lawn instead)

I havent got in under the seat yet, but have an antenna amplifier to install there so I think I should prepare myselffor a double project.

Ive read all the comments about LED's & there is certainly a diversity of opinion. I have 2in transit (hopefully) so I can evaluate them before ordering for the bottom set. I hope to put an LED into the Rego plate light as well.

I started looking into this because I thought the tail lights were not bright enough (prob because of the 20w bulbs I suppose), then starting thinking all was not lighting up as I would expect. Curious why they would restrict the back lighting in Japan (albeit 22 years ago).

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi Jim, I got into the saddlebag lights & (surprise surprise) wiring for the driving lights was in place, but unplugged & taped up. I would have thought it original except for the wiring for the right side being run from the left & looped across around one of the support brackets. I guess whoever has had a shot at fixing it earlier didnt go to the trouble of threading a separate wire through to under the seat like you did.

I now have both sets of lights working as brake & tail lights. Took it for a leisurely 1 hour ride along the beach roads this morning & nothing has blown yet. I will definitely try the LED's in the top set to ease the power load. I have some concern as to whether the light gauge of wire now running 2 lights may burn out, but hopefully the fuse would go before that.

There are a number of posts warning that the lower brake lights activate a light out indicator if replaced by LED's. I havent been able to find any such indicator - did your 88 have one? (Mine is 89) I guess I can have a shot at replacing them first since access is relatively easy & find out for myself that way.

Now I find myself wondering whether the spoiler can also be used for both running & brake lights.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I note there are 2 plugged 7mm holes for bulbs behind the Goldwing logo on the trunk light bar. I have seen pics online with this lit, presumably on later 1500's.
I'd be grateful if anyone can help with the fitting type & bulb.
I also wonder whether the bare side or trunk reflector lights & wiring online (eg like this http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/6_add_on/3819_gl1500_side_trunk_reflector_light_kit/would do the job.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.