Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Lights

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  axelwik 
#1 ·
imported post

After I drove my Bike into the garage last eveing, about 4 hours later my wife noticed the rear lights were on, no headlight on, there is no key in the ignition, she goes in the house gets the key and puts it in the ignition turns it and takes it out and the rear lights go out....she is not certain if it was the brake lights or running lights...Now I am worried about a short somewhere...What in the world is going on?

#2 ·
imported post

Used to happen on my 1200 and the cure was to wiggle the key in the ignition. Eventually I got tired going round the back of the bike every time I got off to check, so I got another ignition switch.
You migt have one of those dodgy ignitions that affliced some early 1200's. The back used to part company with the barrel.

#3 ·
imported post

Thanks, now at least I know I am not crazy, I squirted a small amount of WD40 in the ignition....I will be checking it regularly now...

#4 ·
imported post

I know the GL1000 has a parking position on the ignition switch (at least mine does). It leaves the tail light on so drunks don't hit your bike while it's parked ina dark alley behind the bar.

#6 ·
imported post

Thanks, I think that might be what happened...

Dean

#8 ·
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Thanks, now at least I know I am not crazy, I squirted a small amount of WD40 in the ignition....I will be checking it regularly now...

DONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN ! It Gums up the switch. Only use lubrication made for Key cylinders. I have UnGummed many of locks while working at a local Hardware store in the last two years.:D

#9 ·
imported post

well don't leave me hanging, how do you ungum them.

Dean

#10 ·
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:

Dave is right! Wd-40 is basically kerosene with a propellant. When it evaporates it leave behind parafin wax which can build up over time. Its also flammable and explosive. It can also damage plastic parts. Not something you want around your bike. My personal favorite is the LPS line of lubricants, protectants and penetrants. The are all safe for use on aircraft so should be fine on your bike.

#11 ·
imported post

You can ungum them by using either, type cleaner (if they still make it... made for cleaning typewriters and printing equipment) or electrical contact cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.