Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok so yesterday I spent a few hours out in the shed/man cave disassembling the Wing. i have to replace some seals in the motor and the center stand needs some quality time with the welder.

In the course of taking it apart I discovered that yet again the rear master cylinder has come apart on it's own. This is the fifth or sixth time I've had to rebuild/replace ( and by that I mean buy a used one and rebuild it to replace the one that failed. In only four years.

Thee damn things are just no good. You can't buy a new one. Not that they are hard to find new, not that they are ridiculously expensive new. They don't friggin exist. Unobtainium.

So fed up with this all too frequent problem I've decided to not go through it again. I am NOT going to track down another used master cylinder to rebuild and install. I actually wouldn't have to track one down now that I think about it, i have one on hand that could be rebuilt.

I just bought a master cylinder for an '08 1400 Concourse. I also contacted the builder of "Ol' Sparky". A seriously beautiful custom 1100 from the NGW board. Why? Because he used the same master cylinder to build a custom system for "Ol' Sparky". I'm hoping he'll be willing to fabricate the custom parts, and that he'll eb willing to do it at a price I can afford.

If not...well i'll just have to make my own. Either way...

No more 30 year old, crappy, guaranteed to fail, pain in my butt master cylinder. As the parts get here and I do the build I'll take pictures and keep you all posted. Prolly will be a good bit of time before the pictures start showing up...but stay tuned.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

You could make a stop for the pedal so it won't pull the piston out when it comes up.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
You could make a stop for the pedal so it won't pull the piston out when it comes up.
Yeah...I could. But I won't. I'd much rather just replace it with newer equipment.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

Not a thing wrong with that either. On these old bikes finding a new way to fix/replace something you can't get anymore is satisfying and helpful to others who have the same problem.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Then you just need to stop mashin the rears!:lash:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

Can you take picture of the master cylinder and how it is hooked up? I took a wilwood master cylinder and hooked it up to my trike build in the rear beacause I couldn't get a decent replacement. And it works better than the old one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.