Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After rebuilding the rear caliper on my 80' I thought it would be a good idea to replace the master cylinder hose as well. I held the hose while pumping the pedal-it swelled andpulsated with evey push.(I can think of a few situations where swelling and pusating might be considered a good thing, but this ain't one of them.) So I looked on one of those Honda parts web pages and found that the part is no longer available from them. Where can I get a replacement for this hose?

1980 GL1100

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I am also interested in this as I don't want to install the 250.00 USD stainless hoses and would just as soon install regular brake hoses.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I would hope to find a vendor other than Venco. Their 100-150% mark-up on the hoses is a bit extreme. The hose kit that was $125 from Paragon is now $250 or more. As an example. And they get a quantity discount. It's a shame they have the market sewed up on those.

I contacted another comapny offering Goldwing hoses about making a set of lines for the '83 and they were not interested at all.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Austin is a big enough town to have a hydraulics shop. You should be able to find one that will fabricate a brake line for you. Even poor old Tacoma has several shops that do that.

Speaking of shops an industrial area about two miles from my house has a powder coating and a plating shop opening up. Hooray! I've always wanted a plating shop around the area, now hope they aren't too expensive and are willing to take on small jobs!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I had stainless hoses manufactured for my wife's 82 cost $33 each at a local hydraulic hose shop in Tulsa. It is hard to believe the difference.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

If you have a NAPA parts store in the area check with them. They usually make hydraulic hoses. Good luck..........Jim

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I went to a local motorcycle shop and one of the mechanics there told me that a "fuel injector rated" hose, with the braiding inside the rubberwould do just fine. Now I will say that the hose I took off of my bike was a "rubber " hose with cloth braid on the outside. Do any of you gurus think there may be merit to this mechanic's claim?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

longrider wrote:
I went to a local motorcycle shop and one of the mechanics there told me that a "fuel injector rated" hose, with the braiding inside the rubberwould do just fine. Now I will say that the hose I took off of my bike was a "rubber " hose with cloth braid on the outside. Do any of you gurus think there may be merit to this mechanic's claim?
absolutly not.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd want a hose designed forbrake use, they come rated for high operating pressures and are compatible with brake fluids. Your mechanic could be right buy why not be sure?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.