Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a surprise when I was going to take the rear wheel off to get the tire changed and found this split showing cord and wondering how it was holding air yet. The Metzeler rear tire has 19k and i was checking it before every ride, so i think this happened in the last 200 miles before i parked it for the winter.I have another Metzeler here already and am thinking tochangeto the Austone Taxiwhen this Metzeler is only 3/4 worn.

I had a frontMetzelerthat hada split all around the sidewallat 12k and i think the front Metzeleron it now has about 11k or soand no splits yet but cupping. I have a Bridgestone Battleax sitting here and waiting.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes I've had 2 on my 1100 split, 1 with 4-5,000 on it, and another loose chunks, @ 6,000 and a friend w/1100 had 3 Metz tire "failures". Some New tires; w/in 2 yr mfg, others 3-4 yrs old
I won't use them again and my friend went to Avon.
I run darkside on my 1500, Bridgestone EL400 Turanza 195/60-16 almost to the wear marks at 14,000 miles. Will go Austone or Vredstein(If I can get it, know of a couple) next for the stronger sidewall and height. Too much flex in the Turanza and I was hoping more miles. I was able to get it local.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
imported post

I had that happen on the rear of the 1100 . the cracks are all in the bottom of the tire grooves on mine . It was always run at 40 PSI . It still had good tread life left . That pair of Metzlers was replaced with Avons . Less than a yr on them the sidewalls had lots of cracking /dry rot ? . This is on a bike that was driven daily at the time .

I am not sure what tires will go on the 1100 next .

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
I had that happen on the rear of the 1100 . the cracks are all in the bottom of the tire grooves on mine . It was always run at 40 PSI . It still had good tread life left . That pair of Metzlers was replaced with Avons . Less than a yr on them the sidewalls had lots of cracking /dry rot ? . This is on a bike that was driven daily at the time .

Which tires had less than a yr on them the sidewalls had lots of cracking /dry rot ?
Avons or Metzlers?:?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

For some reason, the Metzlers don't do all that well on a wing, with many cracks/separations reported by members. Maybe the wings are too heavy.:?

Many of my friends with cruisers report good service/results with them, however.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I agree with you Ken. As with most of the M/C tires available for any of the wings, The tires are not designed well enough for hard riding with the weight the wings have on them, let alone loading for a trip. Especially on the rear tires where most of the weight is. If the tire manufactures would design the M/C tires for these wings with weight loads of 1500-1600 lbs rating then a lot of us that have gone Darkside, when we can, probably wouldn't have even given it a thought.
But tires splitting and chucks of rubber peeling off is unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:

Which tires had less than a yr on them the sidewalls had lots of cracking /dry rot ?
Avons or Metzlers?
The Metz had splitting in the tire grooves .

The Avons showed the sidewall cracking in under a year . I did not check the date codes . The tires were installed by myself as new tires .

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

What pressures are you running them at, Mike?

PS ... say "Hi" to Bob for mewhen he shows up!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

this is a perfect example of checking your tires at least once a week get down and rotate your tires all the way around and do a visual inspection

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I had several problems on a Yamaha Venture with the Metzlers that were made in Brazil. The German ones were fine. Personally, the only tire I put on my Wingsis the Dunlop Elite 3.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I was going to change the Metzeler about 2k sooner but babied it until i parked it for the winter. Very little tread in the middle but quite a lot of tread on the outside and very choppy. The pic is misleading on the side tread and doesn't show the thickness. It was very noisy on turns. I kept the pressure at 41psi most of the tires life and tried 39 psi solo this summer and it was quieter. The separation was only in the outer rubber layer.
I had the tire changed at a local tire shop and had bought a new valve stem from a cycle shop for them to install. The tire shop broke the new stem but installed a permament one no charge. Only $10 total and they scrapped the old tire. Heck of a good deal. I had taken the Dynabeads out and they put them back in when installing the tire.
I will try 42-43 psi on this one and maybe take it off at 3/4 worn out and then maybe Austone Taxi.

·
Premium Member
61,413 Posts
imported post

I'm on my 3rd set of Metezlers with no problems.. I'm getting tires from Jake Wilson and by code no more then 6 months old.. All the tires I get are made in Germany.. I run 44# rear 42# front..I get about 9k miles rear and have been getting 13k front.. Bike is garage kept.. Road hard and put away wet.............

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Foodman
You are talking Radials now aren't you?
The OP is on a 1500/Bias Tires

·
Premium Member
61,413 Posts
imported post

Right my are Radials.. You're right those 1500 are usingbias.. I hope that's the difference, cause I sure like mine.................

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

At least you are.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Can you imaging if this were on a car having the tire split like that, you would have recalls big time. :lash:

I agree with newday777, is it so hard to design and manufacture a decent tire for our motorcycles?

This is a very good reason why I am going to the darkside after I finish my current set of E3s which is probably within the next 4K-6K miles.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

This isn't the first time I've heard of Metzelers splitting or laminating, and most had far less miles than the one pictured.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

On my 7th set of Metzeler's ME880 on the 1800 and never a problem. All of miine are made in Germany and I run 36 front and 40 rear like Metzeler recommends for those tires on my bike.

I have seen every brand develop splits, delaminations, etc. No tire brand is perfect they all have some tires with problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.