Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While working on my 1982 interstate that I recently purchased I noticed some irregular wearing on the rear disk. It was sqeaking pretty loudly. Is it possible to have the rotor "turned" on a lath - like we used to do in the old days and replace the pads? I priced them and WOW - I don't have the 300 bucks for a new one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I mentioned this some months ago here. The general opinion was that it was a bad idea to skim the discs as they were too thin anyway and the heat warps them.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

The irregular wear is due to not changing the puks in time and the rivets have scored the disc. Not to worry. Keep on top of changing your puks. The squeaking is due to dirt , grime, disc powder build up etc. I've found with mine a good high pressure bath seems to take care of it.

Kyle

A woman drove me to drink...and I didn't even thank her!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

good idea - I'll give it a try - thanks for keeping it simple!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Had the same thing happen, rear brake squeals once in awhile under light braking, new pads and a bit (very thin coat) of hi-temp grease on the back of the pads did the trick. Bad rotors will wear down pads more quickly and if they are warped you can feel the grip release effect somewhat (it's masked a bit by the linked brakes). For the most part I'd just keep using them as long as they are working well. Since the older rotors are going to be thinner than new ones, I'd change the pads a little sooner to keep the caliper piston from extending further from the cylinder than it would with a thicker rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I think 4mm is the wear limit for an 82. Getting them skimmed is apparently not worth it either as the heat of the brakes eventually warps them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.