Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just replaced the badly worn rear rotor on my '00 1500 with an EBC rotor, with new HH EBC pads as well. The fluid was flushed, caliper cleaned and serviced -appears in good to exellent condition. Operation was fine prior to rotor/pad replacement, and the left front pads were new this Summer. Pedal travel and end point both seem fine. Since the new rotor and pads were installed a grabbing of the foot brake can be felt in unison with wheel rotation speed when light braking pressure is applied at low speeds. Stopping power is actually better than before the switch, but this rotational grabbing does not seem to be diminishing as the new pads bed in. I'm guessing the rotor is slightly warped. Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem? Is there anything else that could be a plausible explanation? Lastly, will EBC stand behind their product even tho it was purchased quite a while ago, although not installed until a few weeks ago?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

The only times I've heard of that happening was when the rotor bolts weren't torqued down. Apparently not torquing can warp the rotor.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Yes check the seating of the rotor.

I had a problem on mine in that there was a small bit of crud or something under one of the fitting areas.

There is a set of little nodules around the rotor on the wheel rim, check they are the same (small) raised amount above the rotor.

Mine was rubbing a treat but was only raised a very small amount.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

As the othes above have said, it appears that the rotor is not seated properly. I would remove the rotor and clean the mating surfaces really well then replace the rotor being sure it fits on there nice and flat. Then torque the mounting bolts down in the proper pattern to 29 ft/lbs. (that torque value is from the 94 manual)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

If the pads you mated with the "new" rotor, were worn at all with the old rotor, this could take a LONG time to wear down evenly. I had this happen on my front left rotor/caliper. Those pads are hard as heck! Also realized, EBC racing pads will wear out a rotor before they wear out themselves! I went back to a softer pad, after wearing out my front rotors. The racing pads destroyed my rotors in a year! jimsjinx

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

He did say he also replaced the pads...

I like to use the softer pads also as pads cost a lot less than rotors. Stock type anyway.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I guess I'll pull the rear wheel, remove the rotor and check the mating surfaces. I did clean the wheel thouroughly before the new rotor was installed. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm looking at replacing a very new rotor, unless someone has any other ideas. Thanks for the input.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

John
Let me know if you want me to come by with my tools, sometimes 2 heads help, sometimes not too! Let me know bro.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks, Stu. I've got tools up the gazooty, and it's a simple job, but I really appreciate the offer. You will be my go to guy if/when I ever need another pair of hands and/or a knowledgable brain to work on something more involved, and I hope you'll call me if I can do the same for you. Happy New Year.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Happy New Year to you too bro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.