Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the swingarm out of my 85 Aspy would like to change the rear rubber brake line the fitting is on supper tight where the metal line connects tothe rubber one anyone done this change I really don't want to round off the nut ,any input is greatly appreciated.Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
I have the swingarm out of my 85 Aspy would like to change the rear rubber brake line the fitting is on supper tight where the metal line connects tothe rubber one anyone done this change I really don't want to round off the nut ,any input is greatly appreciated.Thanks
About all you can do is to soak it with WD or some such for a couple days. I know it sounds heretical, but use a small to medium vise grip to grip the nut. Use one with a combination plier (the kind with the pipe grip just inside the outer jaw) type jaw because the jaws are more parallel and smoother. With a good grip it won't slip and round the nut. If it does rough up the two flats a little dressing with a file ought to do the job.

I know people will cringe about using a vise grip, but if you do you will damage the nut less than if you use an open end wrench. If you have a tubing wrench, the kind that look like a box end with a segment cut out, that would be a good choice if you can get it on the nut.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks exavid I'll try the tube wrench first .

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Awhile back I replaced all of my lines on my '83. At first, I could NOT get the line loose by turning the big nut with a wrenchwhile holding the metal line nut with a wrench.

As it turns out, there is a clip that holds the line in place in the bracket:goofygrin:. The rubber line coupler fits into a hex slot in the bracket and willNOT turn in place. Now I don't know if this fits your situation, but what the heck, if it helps great!! If it's not applicable, no harm no foul.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

whatever you do, do not ruin the metal part of the line. honda does not make them anymore, although a mechanic can fabricate one for you

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
whatever you do, do not ruin the metal part of the line. honda does not make them anymore, although a mechanic can fabricate one for you
Most of the NAPA stores around my area canswage upjust about any length steel brake line you need.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the reply Hobie1 .There is a clip on the 85 I left it in place and with the help of a snap-on brake line wrench and some patience the fitting broke free man was it on tight .New line ordered ,stainless steel in the front next winter.Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Hi TJ859. I've done this job before and it always seems that the unions seize up. They are made of very soft metal as well, so undoing them without chewing them up is a good achievement.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It might be redundant, but that's what they make anti-seize for!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.